Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Greg Kadel's MOTION EFFECT - how to do the same?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Question Greg Kadel's MOTION EFFECT - how to do the same?

Hello, WIZARDS!!!

A few months ago I came across these amazing images that Greg Kadel was shooting/editing for Numero magazine.

Since than, I tried to recreate this amazing effect (ESPECIALLY the same one as on the picture below!), mostly with PS' motion blur filter and different blend modes, but with no satisfactory results! So, my question is, is there some good soul of you Photoshop gurus/wizards who is gonna be willing to point me into the RIGHT direction?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg annaj5.jpg (97.0 KB, 166 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Re: Greg Kadel's MOTION EFFECT - how to do the sam

Hi! Im no expert on the field, so I may be wrong, but this really looks to me like "rear curtain sync" ,with some paning of the camera. So basicly to me it seems like its done "in shooting". You should google "Rear curtain sync" or maybe "ghosting". There are tons of articles out there about it.
For recreating the effect in PS I too would have tried the motion blur with some masking and some gradients, so if that didnt get you where you wanted it would have been interresting to hear what the pros here have to say..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 PM

Hello, grossmisconduct!

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm a real ignorant when it comes to the professional photo shooting so I think that everything beyond "point & shoot" now is gonna be too complicated for me. (However, I'm willing to learn as much as possible about the cameras & photoshooting per se, but first things first - the Photoshop is a priority No. 1 at the moment!)

In the meantime, I really do hope that somebody else will also try to help solving the "mistery" about this particular effect...

Thanks again, you're such a sweetheart!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 PM

This has nothing to do with rear curtain sync, camera movement, or subject movement. It's all post processing.

The original image is copied, offset, blured, warped, transformed, saturated, and masked against the orginal. That process is repeated several times for different sections.

There is some motion blur, maybe some gaussian, maybe even a little smudging or liquifying. Some small sections look like radial blur. Lot's of color modifications on the ghost sections. And a whole lot of masking.

So technically, no great secrets. But artistically, a lot of creativity knowing what common technique to use when and where.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 AM

I'm no wizard, but this is quite evident.

3>motion blur, angle 0, large distance (on top)
2>copy, shifted to the left (in middle)
1>original (on bottom)

invert mask of 2,3
on layer 2 paint-in some of the parts of torso / head (so you have a ghost image of the model next to her)
on layer 3 paint-in motion blur (gradually - more at top, less on bottom of ghost image)

that's it

(similarly just add some motion blur at angle -45 for the shoe,
and other areas/angles where you find it necessary)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 AM

I actually don't see any reason why the original image would necessarily be used for the transformed counter-image. There would be a number of shots from the sequence featuring different moods and expressions that could have been used. I'd be looking through the shots before and after for ideas.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching