RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How much do I need to know about cmyk/prepress?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Re: How much do I need to know about cmyk/prepress

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Too bad it isn’t color managed:

http://regex.info/blog/2012-03-27/1964
Well, I have never seen a blue person on an IPad. Besides, color calibration for all of the devices out there is pretty much impossible, right? And yet, stuff looks pretty damn good on most, from what I can see. Generally, better than Sports Illustrated or People on paper. Much better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Aww . How so? It's been becoming more and more mainstream. After Effects gained its own raytracing engine with CS6. Amusingly IBL was also added when photoshop isn't even ideal for hdri adjustments.
Sounds like we should hire you. Yeah, right, like that will ever happen. Meanwhile, time marches on.........
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM

I did a gig in a high-end production shop, color managed from the top down. Had a book describing all the profiles to use under what conditions. Open with this one in RGB, convert to this one for CMYK adjustments. Convert again for initial proof, different one for final proof. On and on. Quite impressive.

We had 50 large C-prints we were working from, and what all the profiles meant was that the next day when I came back to the stack of proofs, they were all wrong by exactly the same degree. Made corrections easy, but the time-honored pair of eyes at the light-box is what saved the day.

No slur on profiles and color management. I know there are some who worship at the alter of calibration. I've offered a sacrifice or two there myself. But when the deadline's looming, explaining to the client that "the profile really is correct" won't save you from going back and doing it over.

I know, I know, if it had been done right to begin with... yeah. People are flawed and so are the systems they put into production.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Besides, color calibration for all of the devices out there is pretty much impossible, right? And yet, stuff looks pretty damn good on most, from what I can see.
The issue is ambiguity in what is correct and what is consistent. The colors may all look OK on the individual devices yes but they can all vary. Which is right? Depending on the device and who is using it (and why), does it matter?

An ICC aware path at least allows each device that conforms to this behavior to have the potential to produce the same color appearance from the same color numbers. Calibration is useful for devices that are not stable so that what you see today and what you see in a year produce the same appearance.

If none of the above is important in expressing the image, then color management and color calibration isn’t an issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Even a good contract proof is no insurance (unless you are going to the press check).

For my book, I got beautiful contract proofs (heck, I built a custom profile for it). Book was printed overseas. No way I could get to the press check. The final printing and the contract proofs were a mile off. I was super pissed. The publisher didn’t give a crap. The best proof does you no good if you can’t be on press to insure there is a good match.
That sucks. I will reiterate what I was talking about before. Especially with editorial stuff where I don't know how it will be treated, I make sure that it's unlikely to produce clipping issues even if I'm not doing the conversion. There are just so many points where problems can occur. Things tend to sharpen slightly on press in my experience. Saturated colors should be checked during raw processing. They should be checked at or before cmyk conversion. If I know they won't hold up well, I deal with that before sending it out. I've seen enough magazine pages with dresses turned into red blobs or skin with obvious cyan ink problems exiting a specular highlight area. Sometimes it's just an issue of limiting the risk of detail loss at any given point in the process where you do have control. Even without a specific profile, it's pretty obvious that certain saturated primaries are difficult against a 300% ink limit.

Quote:
Too bad it isn’t color managed:

http://regex.info/blog/2012-03-27/1964
I found this. It looks like the potential could be there with future color management. Obviously that's one sample, and I don't know how they drift or shift with brightness adjustments. It looks like they did better than Apple's other displays (I hate their displays so much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post

We had 50 large C-prints we were working from, and what all the profiles meant was that the next day when I came back to the stack of proofs, they were all wrong by exactly the same degree. Made corrections easy, but the time-honored pair of eyes at the light-box is what saved the day.
It sounds like it still benefited you. Even if they weren't as you expected, they were consistent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM

Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, are design programs that provide CMYK Prepress presets recommended for press setups across the world.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Like I said, it's all about the IPad....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89H0L020121018
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM

I'm not a professional photo retoucher but I can tell you that each Rgb, Cmyk and lab all have their own respective strengths and weaknesses. Cmyk has the very unique property of having its own black channel (k) which is great when working with detail and can be used to edit in ways you can't do otherwise. If you're working with printing presses/magazines, etc and they are adhering to SWOP regulations, it's my understanding that knowledge of the black channel is also important in order to make sure you fall within their required percentage/range.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching