RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching Male Models?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Re: Retouching Male Models?

Thanks mate! The market between MEL and SYD is fairly evenly split. More publishing in SYD and more advertising in MEL, I think.
Capture sharpening is a tricky subject and people differ in their approach. I never sharpen in RAW and sometimes even if it is to sharp I tone down the clarity a notch selectively. Then I can sharpen by different methods and amounts in PS as needed.
I too do prefer natural retouches where the work is pretty unnoticeable and you're right the anatomy has to be respected otherwise the eye can pick up that something is wrong; i.e maintaining the roundness of the forehead, reducing the appearance of bags under the eyes (not eliminating them completely), keeping cheekbones in place, emphasizing specular highlights, etc.

To the OP: sometimes acne can be a issue of colour rather than texture, so cloning or healing acne is not completely the solution all the time. It'd be great if you could post some samples when you're done, see how it all went.
cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Thanks mate! The market between MEL and SYD is fairly evenly split. More publishing in SYD and more advertising in MEL, I think.
Capture sharpening is a tricky subject and people differ in their approach. I never sharpen in RAW and sometimes even if it is to sharp I tone down the clarity a notch selectively. Then I can sharpen by different methods and amounts in PS as needed.
I too do prefer natural retouches where the work is pretty unnoticeable and you're right the anatomy has to be respected otherwise the eye can pick up that something is wrong; i.e maintaining the roundness of the forehead, reducing the appearance of bags under the eyes (not eliminating them completely), keeping cheekbones in place, emphasizing specular highlights, etc.
This is a really fun conversation. I'll admit I'm jealous of anyone who lives in Australia. The Great Ocean Road near Melbourne is beautiful. Tasmania is beautiful, and it's such a short flight from there. I've tried to convince friends to join me in overland hiking there, but they think I'm crazy.

Oh yeah on capture sharpening, sometimes I sharpen in raw. It's usually if it's out of focus or has a lot of motion blur, although even for that I've been trying alternative methods. It's really hard to deal with blurry eyes while keeping them in context with the rest of the image. I always noticed anatomy to some degree, but I became a lot pickier later, and it makes such a difference. We seem to agree on that. I used to be way less comfortable messing with lighting, and I relied too much on a couple curves and things for contrast. The problem is that you can quickly run into situations where your work necessitates more cleanup than you would have needed initially, and then you're doing double work for inferior results. It's just so easy to flatten something out to where it starts to feel more like an unfinished painting than a photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Great info! Very simple and easy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Smile Re: Retouching Male Models?

You can also pick my brain. I'd like to think I am great at photographing and retouching male models. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching