RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM

Re: High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

results often don't always display the techniques involved and for the most part that is the best thing, as long as the results are stunning. I have checked your work and I have to say in the most part, I like your results.

Techniques are only a means to an end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
results often don't always display the techniques involved..
Thanks Mike!
And that's the point! If I am working on images for my web or printed portfolio or clients (non-publishers) - if I can deliver good results with my "sloppy brush strokes" in 1-2 hours per images, then why go into the craziness of working on 300% zoom and with the tiniest brushes? That will double or triple the post-processing time.

And I am in no way trying to be defensive here - I'm just trying to understand if I should stick with what I do, or change my workflow and try doing what a few people on RetouchPro suggested. I am very new on here, so I'm trying to understand how things are around here, you know

I do appreciate you response though! Thanks for your time and input, Mike!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Hi Julia,

Love your work.

The idea that there are correct and incorrect methods, while intellectually appealing, will always be trumped by the more relevant question: What works, what doesn't? In your case, your methods are directly connected to your need to create and present a personal style in the marketplace. From what I can see, you are successful in that effort, and so value flows not from abstract theory, but from results. Or, in the vernacular, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

There are always new techniques to be absorbed, new levels of knowledge to be exploited. Every so often I'll open up a layered file from five or ten years ago (yes, I save everything) and I wonder "What was I thinking?" Literally. Sometimes I can't remember what I did or why, but at the time, the results justified the approach. But now I work differently, and I would always encourage anyone to continue to expand the scope of their craft and technique.

But as a working photographer, your relationship to the retouching process is quite different than for someone like me. All I do is retouch, and one week it might be for someone like yourself, then the next week for someone with a vastly different aesthetic. I need to be a chameleon, someone who can satisfy anyone. You need to satisfy yourself. Sure, you need to satisfy your clients, but since your style is your stock in trade, we assume that your clients already want what you provide. Big difference. Third-party feedback is well and good but don't let it get in the way of your results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM

@ edgework- well-said dude
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks so much, edgework!

That makes perfect sense! And i do know how that feels when you look in your old PSD file and think: "what was I thinking!"
I educate myself non-stop and try out new techniques constantly too, and I do want to be a better retoucher because I get more and more retouching jobs now and most of them are for printed publications, so I want to be better, that's why I'm here.

I probably wouldn't be discussing all this if kav didn't jump out with his "truly terrible" comment at me right after I posted this link

Thanks a lot for your time, guys! I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Here's a new video (I avoided sharing my "sloppy brush strokes" in this one)

http://youtu.be/KM56Q2JGvQE
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Oh and now that I understand the difference between my retouching workflow/techniques and what most of you guys probably do, so I am taking the "high end" part out of all my posts now Just Beauty & Portrait retouching. That's closer to the truth then!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM

I actually really like Edgework's stuff, even if we have completely different taste in things. I'm pretty weird and obsessive, but I do not work at 300%. I spend a lot of time around 100%, and I do zoom out. I've got my settings tested. I test on blank canvases. I've tried a bit of figure drawing. I do a lot of drawing exercises to see what settings feel right both in mapping and tilt sensitivity. If I can't make truly smooth strokes on a blank canvas, I mess with the positioning of my tablet or its settings depending on what I feel is off (because I can draw on paper, so it's a matter of making things work in the computer) Whenever it's a new subject whether it's a type of landscape or a material I haven't worked with, I gather lots of reference. I've used anatomy charts in the past at times. I've looked at hundreds of crops of different eyes to see how they light. It's not so much about making things correct. it's just about comprehension and obsessive control to maintain a consistent style. I used to to try to handle way too much of the lighting and stuff within a couple broad adjustment layers, but that actually takes longer for inferior results.

Most stuff isn't sitting around working for 20 hours on an image. A lot of editorial is just an hour or two. Personally I try not to change anything that isn't needed as it's incredibly easy to inflate times. Much of the time things like skin aren't as rough as they appear initially. When I looked at those, I watched entire videos. The first parts just looked like you were a little too honed in on things that weren't even rough. Typically if it gets to the point where every pore looks rough, I turn down capture sharpening. Why sharpen it and just obliterate all that afterward when it looks better having it a bit softer and leaving that detail in? I'm always looking at the muscles and bones with some idea of what should remain in the final. If someone says to remove jowels and the person is smiling or something, I look at what other muscles must be relaxed to at least keep it consistent (even if it does start to look botoxy). I click layers on and off to check. I look for flat spots too. Skin gets much of its contrast from subtle changes due to the way it reflects light around the subcutaneous layers.

Just my thoughts.. If anything I've been working on the efficiency of my own work. I used to be horribly inefficient and bad at figuring out what direction to go with an image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM

I think your moving in a great direction. And your style may be just what certain pple are looking for. I watch pple become top retouchers with even weird looking retouching that I would never do, and thats because it all depends on your audience.
So anyone that has nasty things to say, has obviously never seen poor work because trust me, I've seen work so poor that it looks like a coloring book.
Keep up the hard work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Just my thoughts.. If anything I've been working on the efficiency of my own work. I used to be horribly inefficient and bad at figuring out what direction to go with an image.
Thanks so much for your response, kav! I feel the same way - I know I am very inefficient, that's why Im always in search of better and quicker techniques, shortcuts, tricks.... and that's why I'm here!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it!
Julia
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching