RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 PM

Re: High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie007 View Post
I think your moving in a great direction. And your style may be just what certain pple are looking for. I watch pple become top retouchers with even weird looking retouching that I would never do, and thats because it all depends on your audience.
So anyone that has nasty things to say, has obviously never seen poor work because trust me, I've seen work so poor that it looks like a coloring book.
Keep up the hard work.
Thank you Natalie!
Nothing makes me want to be better than the encouraging words like yours! THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaKuzmenko View Post
Thanks so much for your response, kav! I feel the same way - I know I am very inefficient, that's why Im always in search of better and quicker techniques, shortcuts, tricks.... and that's why I'm here!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it!
Julia
You replied while I was on apparently. Anyway I apologize for my initial response. I thought it was just another look at me thread. I'm not big on shortcuts at all. When it comes to efficient methods, I like efficiency through control, and I try not to remove things anytime it's not necessary. In terms of control, I use a lot of paths. I can quick mask with a high level of accuracy (I started using it more again due to the influence of another forum member). I just like control. I don't like jacking up curves. I don't like sharpening eyes way too much. I like being able to make them stand out by lighting irises correctly and drawing perfect lashes.

My issue with your stuff was that I thought you were taking the photos backward because you felt they wouldn't look smooth unless you did them this way. I would just avoid adding too much capture sharpening first off. When you go through them, block out lighting adjustments on separate layers. Make color adjustments for lips, teeth, eyes, background etc. and try to remember the cumulative effect so that they work on the image as a whole.

With skin, I use a lot of burn/dodge work. I only clone small stuff. This will keep you from getting rid of a lot of pretty texture. I click layers on and off all the time to check how the work looks, because your eyes will lie to you. If you changed something in an unintended manner, you'll notice it. I didn't see you really doing that in the videos.

I usually start off removing acne, stray hairs, and clone stuff. Then for the polishing stage I go large to small. I'll block in lighting and stuff on bigger areas, then go smaller and smaller for more refinement. If every pore feels rough to you, you're probably sharpening it too much. Too much skin sharpening makes it feel dry, so you end up retouching it more. I like to leave it a little softer, but leave more texture there. if I don't like something, I don't brush it in the opposite manner. I fade off the work in that area instead so as not to end up painting it up excessively.

Does that help? The whole point was that your biggest time saver is not making changes that don't add to the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes! I can see that a lot of things that you suggest I am already big on (I actually do turn the layers on and off like a maniac after every stage and in between steps sometimes ), but there are things that I am going to try and implement into my workflow now! Thank you so much! Im going to print out this thread and highlight your suggestions on the parts where I know I am weaker!
I'm going to test it right tonight
THANKS again, kav!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaKuzmenko View Post
Yes! I can see that a lot of things that you suggest I am already big on (I actually do turn the layers on and off like a maniac after every stage and in between steps sometimes ), but there are things that I am going to try and implement into my workflow now! Thank you so much! Im going to print out this thread and highlight your suggestions on the parts where I know I am weaker!
I'm going to test it right tonight
THANKS again, kav!
Cool. Tell me if it helps in practice. I do like some of your lighting.

I like stuff like

http://payload52.cargocollective.com...%20sm_1200.jpg

and

http://cargocollective.com/juliakuzm...ywood-Vacation

those.

Second link looks like predominantly window lighting. The first image on the other link looks like a lot of that lighting is coming from the sand. Are the larger catch lights just added in post or do you have a stronger main light there?

Just wondering because I liked those lighting setups.

Take a look at this or this

On the second one click on the lower left hand corner. Yes these are big photographers. The lighting is also somewhat natural and softer like the ones I linked from your work. What I wanted you to note is that the texture and continuity are really nice. If you see them at print resolution, it's even nicer. Good texture helps prevent it from developing flat spots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Thank you for the links - I knew Russell James, but seeing Greg's website for the first time, even though I have seen his work for sure! Thank you - both artists' work is a lot of inspiration!

As to my lighting at Malibu beach - there was a large silver reflector. I love using reflectors when Im shooting outdoors or indoors using mainly natural light. Although in the image where Aja (the red hair model is laying on bed without guitar) I also used a strobe on the opposite side of the room, firing it into the wall, just to balance with the sunlight coming through the big window.
In the beach photos - I usually watch for my assistant (our MUA in this case) to not lower the reflector, so that the light falls on the model's face from above, but this was a somewhat cloudy day, so the light was very diffused anyways. It may look like the catchlights in her eyes are from the sun light that bounces off sand, but it was actually a reflector
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM

I love your work too Julia!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching