RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 PM

High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Check out these recorded High End Beauty Retouching Workflow videos.

A lot of attention to the smallest details, skin texture is perfect and visible, arresting eyes and glowing highlights:

http://cargocollective.com/juliakuzm...ouching-Videos
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Re: High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Those are truly terrible. No one in their right mind would just mindlessly healing brush everything more than two tones apart with sloppy brushstrokes like that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 AM

Are you serious? I guess I need to re-educate myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 AM

Kav, I am very very curious to see your work, would you be so kind to share a link to your portfolio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 AM

I watched the first video and there is evidence of large selections when using the healing brush and patch tool. This may be a little heavy handed at times and not the best option to retain skin texture. I noticed it more when you used the clone tool around the lip to obliterate the fine hairs, it's not a move I would have made. Perhaps some cloning set to darken or/and d&b, but not such a drastic use of the clone tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaKuzmenko View Post
Kav, I am very very curious to see your work, would you be so kind to share a link to your portfolio?
Kav prefers to wow us with his words rather than his work

I tend to agree, the blatant patching and healing and cloning of everything in sight is less than ideal - I guess it works for glamour style retouching.
I think you've got PS skills and sensibilities, just need to rethink the skin work if you want to elevate your work further.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 PM

Smile Re: High End Beauty, Fashion & Portrait retouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
I think you've got PS skills and sensibilities, just need to rethink the skin work if you want to elevate your work further.

--Shift Studio.
Thank you! I will definitely agree - I want to be better at what I do and I want to learn to improve my skills, so if those parts of my workflow are not ideal, I will research and work on them! At least I know about it now!

THANK YOU! That's the very reason I am here for! Learn to become better
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
I watched the first video and there is evidence of large selections when using the healing brush and patch tool. This may be a little heavy handed at times and not the best option to retain skin texture. I noticed it more when you used the clone tool around the lip to obliterate the fine hairs, it's not a move I would have made. Perhaps some cloning set to darken or/and d&b, but not such a drastic use of the clone tool.
Thank you Mike!
I know now what I should work on to become better! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

Julia
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Huh... I swore this was someone just trolling for page hits. I guess not. I don't actually mind the photos. I just think they look better before you begin the post treatments.

I have shown things by example when I can't think of a good written explanation, but I don't have anything posted online currently. I place an almost abnormally high priority on brush accuracy, so seeing someone work that loose with little regard for what they're hitting sort of rubs me the wrong way. Anyway I usually keep cloning and healing brush stuff to small brushes whenever possible. I'm super picky on accuracy. Like I'll test out different brush and tablet settings trying to get a good feel, then draw something on paper and compare how that feels to get a close match. I'll position the tablet a bit to my side so that I can move from the shoulder on large strokes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Thanks kav!
And I (to be equally honest) thought it was someone trolling going around and yelling: "that's $#*^$ and this #$&*^, you know, like those guys who know how things should be done "theoretically", but can't demonstrate a good body of work to back their words up.
But never mind!

I really appreciate you taking the time to expand on it though!

But your post made me think hard for a couple of days, and I was trying to understand why my retouching style has been working great for me for many years now, but was critiqued on RetouchPRO?

I've got a couple of versions here:

1. You guys are probably only do Retouching mainly and either do it out of the love for it, or charge pretty good money to sit there for 20 hours on 1 image and work with the smallest brushes. I am a full-time photographer and my main goal is to cut the editing time down and still deliver good quality for the images that will be seen mainly on the web. I myself tell people whom I teach my retouching workflow to be responsible for the amount of time that they can spend on one image (depending of where it's going - private client, print, magazine, etc.), and always zoom in and out to not spend too much time working on the things that won't be visible anyways.

2. You didn't bother looking at my portfolio and only peeked at the videos and made your post assuming the final pictures look like $#^% with such sloppy brush strokes.

Either way, I do really want to learn to be an excellent retoucher, so I really appreciate your input! Sincerely!

I'm actually uploading a little slideshow of the Before & Afters of my work (just the past couple of years 2011-2012, I have been a pro photographer/retoucher since 2007) and, if you're curious, do take a look and tell me if you think with my workflow the results are still "truly horrible". And they are all just pretty girls I photographed (models & clients), so please try to concentrate on the retouching results
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching