RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do I get such analog colors?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Re: How do I get such analog colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
The curve I posted earlier was not meant to be a magic bullet, only the beginning of one of countless ways to approach the problem. Though I will stress that having images that are appropriately cast and styled for fashion imagery is more than half the battle.
You're the only one who has even tried to offer any sort of constructive input and for that You are awesome!

wasn't taken as a magic bullet in the slightest and sometimes it's just nice to approaches other people have tried especially if its been for a comparable photographer or editorial.

considering the lighting, model, makeup, styling, and skill of the photographer are all a given.

perhaps I can isolate an area and part of why I linked to the other photographer. While his colors are more vibrant than the Mclellen example and I wouldn't call his style analog there is an element, common to fashion images in its colors being muted/desaturated yet still have some vibrance.
part of this echoes of film like technicolor, portra and just how it used to be done for fashion in actually hand tinting film.

while it is true, sometimes you can just drop the saturation down and it looks how you want it to depending on how its shot but I feel like some good techniques to desaturate in terms of fashion photography might be helpful here too. I have gotten some good results from adding a b&w adjustment layer set to lighten and filtering out yellow from the skin tone, but sometimes that doesnt work great either and I think some good examples of how to approach that could be helpful and applicaple if you had something like the Mclellan image working from a digital file wondering how to start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM

My approach would be to do a global curve adjustment layer, using either a standard S, or the modified "analog" curve I touched upon on the first page of this thread. The individual color channels in the global curve would be adjusted depending on the image.

Underneath that global curve adjustment layer would be a hue/sat adjustment layer, with saturation on the master set to -7 or so. This hue/sat layer will allow you to achieve greater contrast using the global curve without excessive color saturation.

A good trick with skin is to use a hue/sat adjustment layer masked to affect the skin only; go to reds, set hue to +7 / sat to -7 ; go to yellows, set hue to -7 / sat to -7. This will balance the reds and yellows in the skin. It will probably be slightly too green, so clip a curve to the hue/sat and add a touch of magenta. This would go underneath your global curve.

I've been using that formula as a basis for most of what I've been doing lately, and it works for me.

If you have a particular image you'd like to see that process applied to, I'd be happy to post my results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
r*po, I only mentioned the quality of more established photographers' work because it does play a huge role in the final outcome. I was not trying to disparage the original intent of the question asked.

As far as a concise tutorial, I recommend Tim Sexton's videos on Lynda (though you might be able to find them as torrents etc)

http://www.lynda.com/Timothy-Sexton/1131948-1.html

He's the senior at Gloss:
http://glossstudio.com/div/print/mod...lo/p/891/c/-1/

I was pleased to see that my workflow was fairly similar to his, and I've definitely benefitted from the knowledge there and have since incorporated it into my own.

Keep in mind that the images used in the tutorials are not the kind that would be on the cover of W (i believe he used colleague's images who are budding photographers and not established), but the techniques and workflows are the same. It's probably very hard and prohibitively expensive to license a pre-retouched high fashion image from one of the more elite photographers for educational use.
Very nice information, thank you for sharing, Im familiar with a lot of these techniques and they are part of my workflow Im always trying to improve on but I don't think I've ever seen anything by him specifically even having been through some of Lyndas tutorials before. It is even in the small thing of seeing that the workflow you currently have is relevant that is helpful in itself.
I shot with an assistant who has worked with a lot of impressive people and it was nice that he said my process on the shoot was similar, sometimes its just nice to know you're on the right set of tracks and you idint have anything to gauge it by.

In the link you sent even looking at his technique for faces, its an approach I find more appealing than what you normally see in some of these although the process sis the same theory. Very cool to see its coming from a source working on the kind of projects gloss is doing.

It would have been nice to be mentored by Avedon like Sebastian Kim was but some of the rest of us still have to find ways to move forward and do better work.

nice information. thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that the images used in the tutorials are not the kind that would be on the cover of W (i believe he used colleague's images who are budding photographers and not established), but the techniques and workflows are the same. It's probably very hard and prohibitively expensive to license a pre-retouched high fashion image from one of the more elite photographers for educational use.
Even without that, it can be really interesting. The techniques of juxtaposing color palettes and enhancing definition still work. I've had to work on many images that were a little soft with greyish shadows. On many occasions I've tried to provide a little more definition around outer nostrils or a forehead without making it look too painted.

Quote:

A good trick with skin is to use a hue/sat adjustment layer masked to affect the skin only; go to reds, set hue to +7 / sat to -7 ; go to yellows, set hue to -7 / sat to -7. This will balance the reds and yellows in the skin. It will probably be slightly too green, so clip a curve to the hue/sat and add a touch of magenta. This would go underneath your global curve.
I often did something similar with channel mixer, although you have to be careful with it. I do a lot of weird things, like I don't care for the flow setting. Instead much of the time if I have to paint on a layer mask I'll set the brush to linear dodge with a dark color, then set history states in case something goes too far. The nice thing is that it provides a good buildup. It won't go straight to white, yet it alleviates the sometimes odd sampling of flow. I can go over it at high opacity many times and get a nice buildup for delicate work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r*po View Post
Just to prove my own point and try and contribute something useful...
I think there is a much better approach for a practical workflow more specific to what you asked and If I knew It I would tell you but these are sort of cool problem solving things that might be useful to try yourself.

a nice way to desaturate while keeping saturation in midtones, a few other interesting tips on this site but I wish he gave more as they seem to lead to a nicer end result than most of what you can find on the internet... here included
http://www.bensecret.com/2011/02/15/coming-soon/

gives you something to work with as far as matching tone (uses ben secrets technique), and how to use a luminosity and saturation map to adjust an image to try match something you've seen.
http://photography.tutsplus.com/tuto...m--photo-14067
Can you explain how Ben make his curves? Because every images is different. I don't understand how he work with RGB curves to make images desaturation
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtechniques View Post
Can you explain how Ben make his curves? Because every images is different. I don't understand how he work with RGB curves to make images desaturation
If you go to that first link he explains it as well as it can be explained really for this technique.
just make sure your layer mode is set to color and you'll just have to experiment with it to see if its something that works for you.

If using curves is a new tool for you you will find understanding them is an important and extremely useful tool for editing your images and they are available in every photo editing program ( camera raw, photoshop, lightroom, and capture one all have them as an available tool)

This desat method will only apply to photoshop or a program that will allow you to alter the blending mode of your curves layer. By using a color layer-blending mode you are only effecting the color of the image and not its tone. What I find interesting about this method is I hadn't thought of using it in that way to take color away from an image, and it offers some interesting control.

There is a lot of online information about curves and how to use them and if you just search the internet and a lot of examples
but this gives you some useful information on it to start.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hop-curves.htm

An internet search on using photoshop curves and layer blending modes will yield a lot of information if you are still having trouble or there might be a forum thred on here that is devoted solely to curves.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching