RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do I get such analog colors?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 AM

How do I get such analog colors?

I want to know, how I can get such analog and "easy looking" colors like on the attached b/w and color photos from Alasdair McLellan?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Re: How do I get such analog colors?

http://illuminations.herokuapp.com

first one: load the look "BW Paper", and fully desaturate with the slider
second: try the look "Rich Base", and adjust cool/warm and saturation to taste
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your answere! Unfortunately I'm not able to open your link, allthough I did the necessary flash update. Is there another way to come to these results?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM

make sure you allow scripting in your browser so the flash can load.

otherwise, there isn't such thing as "analog colours", there are different film media producing different tones, but to have something like the images you show (which keep in mind are digital files after all) requires proper toning of your source image.

for the BW, adjust luminosity according to colour (there are many ways to do that) and create a proper gradient map on top. Or just use the BW adj. layer in photoshop.

if you are looking for a "one button" solution that will get you something similar, the flash-page above may be what you are looking for.

cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM

I would be curious to reopen this discussion and get more information as neither of these responses are really helpful and Allasdair Mclellan is a great photographer to look at in terms of color processing for fashion... or just if you like the style for whatever.

I think that second image is a great one to talk about that concept of "analog colors," whether there is or isn't such a thing and the reality that different film creates different color tones I think is understood and doesn't help anyone get closer to creating what is commonly referred to as "film like / analog" colors.
Companies like DXo, VSCo, nik software and Alien skin have put a great deal of time and effort into trying to capitalize on the desire for digital shooters to figure out what to do with their (comparatively to film) flat/dull raw files to feel more like film (analog).
These filter plugins can be great solutions for some personal work or may be enough for some people and they can check out those offerings but I personally feel they aren't as good as being able to do your own. Curves, selective color, or whatever your preferred method of color adjustments to get the look you want just gives you a higher quality image and more freedom to understand and explore. These filters are not used by anyone who shoots professionally for high end fashion at least not on a regular basis and although they are getting better, unless you'r client is pac sun and you're looking for a shortcut Its not the answer.

Id also like to just cut out a lot of the typical responses as well in interest of information and solutions rather than reason why it can't be done. Its fine if you don't know, I don't know or else I wouldn't be here.

The site is called retouch pro and most of the answers tend to be along the lines of, "depends on the lighting" and "best team available" or "requires proper toning of your source image." While there is truth to these answers and they all play a part to get this kind of level that's not always the obstacle to figuring out the photo treatment that everyone makes it out to be, plenty of photographers that have needed retouchers to take subpar photos in natural light and make them "magazine ready" for lack of a better term. Another thing on here is pages arguing if an image is film or digital and Mclellan shoots a lot on film but even when he does digital he manages to have the same color tone to it much like a lot of other working photographers who want their digital work to feel less digital and be similar to their film work.Even if it was film the poster is asking how to achieve it with digital files and thats really common too so not an odd question or unsolvable mystery either.

Like I said I dont have a good working solution, Ive yet to find a process Im happy with and Ive worked with great models, digital techs and lighting people... its the final color toning and finishing Im not fully satisfied with and yes thats part of the process and you need to shoot and experiment and it takes time but this is a forum for retouching and the actual amount of useful information is severely lacking.

It is possible this was shot with some type of ND or polarizing filter to give it a darker appearance than mid sunny day but I don't think that really makes much difference here as far as post. Sometimes you can add this to images by overlaying a copy of the blue or green channel in photoshop to add contrast or help the tonal range feel more familiar to film than the digital file. As to the color I would first try to desaturate and add yellow into the mid tones and take out much of the red but then I often find theres still a final piece missing to complete the right look, even with similar tone.

but if there are retouchers that do this kind of thing quite often and have workable solutions that could help Im pretty sure thats what 99.9% of posters in these forums are looking for. After all visual people sometimes need to learn visually and yes there are some videos you can buy on here but not on this issue. The others are good if you don't know anything or don't mind dropping $15 to see maybe one or two things you might not have known but they aren't things you'll see in high fashion editorials in the types of publications Mclellen is in. Not to say thats better or worse its just a different aspect that is its own beast than the more ad focused retouching.

I hope you all understand I make a lot of noise so we can skip the noise and just try and keep it simple and post solutions to the posters really, very simple question for a common color look in magazines today shot digitally.
cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 PM

Just to prove my own point and try and contribute something useful...
I think there is a much better approach for a practical workflow more specific to what you asked and If I knew It I would tell you but these are sort of cool problem solving things that might be useful to try yourself.

a nice way to desaturate while keeping saturation in midtones, a few other interesting tips on this site but I wish he gave more as they seem to lead to a nicer end result than most of what you can find on the internet... here included
http://www.bensecret.com/2011/02/15/coming-soon/

gives you something to work with as far as matching tone (uses ben secrets technique), and how to use a luminosity and saturation map to adjust an image to try match something you've seen.
http://photography.tutsplus.com/tuto...m--photo-14067
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 AM

Erm... the McLellan's look does look "analog" because IT IS ANALOG, so to speak. He shoots with a 6x7 pentax camera fairly often as far as I know.

Last edited by insmac; 02-01-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 AM

Backstage videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPh9mmtBDdg - Pentax 6x7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3MKSM8Eeg4 - Missoni SS 2013 campaign - Pentax 6x7
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
Erm... the McLellan's look does look "analog" because IT IS ANALOG, so to speak. He shoots with a 6x7 pentax camera fairly often as far as I know.
Yes... he shoots film more often than not...thats the obvious way to get a film look.. is to just shoot film. pentax 6x7 often looks great and lots of guys use one.

but as this is a retouching forum and they are trying to achieve analog colors thats not really helpful. I may be wrong in assuming he's talking about from a digital file, but I don't think so.

I guess it does answer his question to just use a film camera...but still.....why don't we, just for the sake of education and retouching purposes assume its with a digital file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r*po View Post
Yes... he shoots film more often than not...thats the obvious way to get a film look.. is to just shoot film. pentax 6x7 often looks great and lots of guys use one.

but as this is a retouching forum and they are trying to achieve analog colors thats not really helpful. I may be wrong in assuming he's talking about from a digital file, but I don't think so.

I guess it does answer his question to just use a film camera...but still.....why don't we, just for the sake of education and retouching purposes assume its with a digital file.
Point taken I mean, what I was trying to say is although it is possible to emulate the 'analog' look with various tools there are certain situations when the digital it's just not there.

But let's leave that for now - assume these two shots are all digital capture (which I doubt but anyway). So for the black and white one you'll need a deeper shadows, a modern DSLR will preserve a lot in darker areas - I'd go for a channel mixer and play around with monochrome. It's weakness is exactly what I would be looking for - rapid high/lows clipping occuring if the sliders are pushed too hard.

For the latter, selective color is key. Now I've paid attention to McLellan's on-location capture one adjustments seen in various videos - it's not much, most likely going with a major overhaul during post, but it's a good place to start. Saturation lowered down, reds taken down to get a more yellowish feel (I'd emulate it with selective color in post), s-curve and global contrast pumped up for more distinct black.

Also every major photographer has it's own let's call it "signature look". David Sims usually goes for strong, nearly white highs giving it a very dynamic, graphic look, whereas McLellan seemingly prefers rich deep tones across the whole image.

David Sims: http://fashionista.com/uploads/2010/...-1-540x352.jpg
McLellan: http://wearesodroee.files.wordpress....magazine-6.jpg

So for the latter I'd go with a lowered exposure, deep skin tones (curve / black and white adj blended in multiply) and the saturation taken down a few steps.

Last edited by insmac; 02-01-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching