RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin)

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Exclamation Re: The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin

Hey everyone,

After several hours experimenting and playing with different filters and multiple passes with masks and layers I have finally finished my first real attempt at creating a portraits with the same effect as Oleg Dou.

The base image was a portrait that I took with a relatively simple setup (Beauty dish as key and strip box as fill). Once I got the image and got it in photoshop I started by removing any obvious artifacts like pimples or blemishes using the heal brush. After I cloned out her eye brows and then separated her from the background (which I set a purple radial gradient set to colour).

Then I started on the skin using multiple passes and filters and a big thanks to DJSoulglo and skoobey for suggesting to use Dust & Scratches and Median filters cause I would never have thought to use those. I also used some Gaussian and surface blur as well in multiple spots.

The hair was slightly tricky because her hair is not what I usually see in alot of his photos which are either super straight hair, or a cap of some kind, but they are mostly bald. As a result I decided to use the mixer brush and mix her hair in as I did not like the look of it if I had left it untouched. Later on I will probably make them wear a hat or learn how to make them bald.

The eyes were hands down the most difficult part as I had come to the conclusion, after multiple attempts at filters, to simply draw them out from scratch. So I head to learn how to draw eyes using paths , and then I had to shade them among with a whole lot of other stuff. Basically I had to work on the eyes in a separate window and import the final product back into my working file.

Afterwards I used a B/W filter to bleach the skin (but not all the way) along with some final dodging and burning. I used the new iris blur in CS6 for added measure and slightly liquefied her shoulders to even them a bit.

I have attached a few pics showing the result, workflow, and comparison. Let me know what you guys think and I am open to critiquing as this is the first time I have ever really tried doing this. Thanks again for your input people as it was really helpful in pulling this off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peter-Gaye-Oleg-Dou.jpg (92.4 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg before and after.jpg (99.9 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg workflow.jpg (99.5 KB, 460 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Smile Re: The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin

Re: Adobe Moose

I have to agree Oleg Dou is amazing! I duplicate his work once before, but I never could get it right. Using the method our fellow users suggested, i must say, is quite pleasing; however, the eyes, creating the look of it all, is difficult. Can you do a tutorial for the eyes? ... Like a step by step photo tutorial? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Re: The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin

Okay here's a tutorial on what I did with the eyes for the portrait I did:

1. I started by making a rectangular selection of the eyes (including the bridge of the nose) and exporting it into a new working file in photoshop. Then once I was there I duplicated it a few times (to be safe) and applied varying degrees of the Median and Gaussian blur filter and used masks the blend it properly to make the skin smooth and pore-less. At this point I also blurred out the tear ducts as well.

2. Afterwards I needed to make paths around the rim of the eyes and outline of the iris using the pen tool and later I stroked the path with different brush settings (different colours for the top and bottom of the eye lids with feathered ends and a smaller black brush for the iris outline, but all brushes were soft). I used the untouched base image as a guideline to trace the eye lid rims and iris. After stroking these paths (and making a layer out of them) I duplicated it and applied a very subtle Gaussian blur to it so that it appears soft and more natural.

3. For the whites of the eyes I copied those parts from the base image and then applied a few coats of Gaussian blur to smoothen it out. No a big thing there.

4. For the eye center I first used a radial gradient of dark brown to a medium-dark brown for the eyes and masked out the edges to fit them inside of the iris outline I made earlier.

5. Then for the center I used a simple black soft brush and made a circle using the base image as a reference for the size. Then I made another white soft circle to represent the catch light from my beauty dish using an off white brush (a super light grey) and then a small speck of pure white in the center of that. Then I duplicated the layer and applied a small amount of Gaussian blur to soften it. Now I decided to not make another catch light for the strip box that I used in the photo because I figured making the curved rectangular shape would be really difficult to pull off and as long as I had the one catch light there it would be enough. I also noticed that a lot of Oleg Dou's shots only show one catch light even though I know there should be at least two in them (he uses a large Octobank and an on-shoe flash from his Hassleblad) so I figured since he only shows one catch light that I shouldn't go through the hassle of showing two.

6. Then I had to add little "spokes" in the iris which at first was difficult cause I was trying to do it with a soft brush which I had pancaked it to make it look like a sliver and then rotating it each time to go around the eye but it never looked good. At this point I just decided to download a pin-wheel style brush, paint black in the iris, then mask out the edges and then applied a bit of Gaussian blur to it.

7. I then had the blur base image revealed to make sure the eyes fit nicely in the sockets and then I applied some dodging and burning around the eye lids to give some depth and definition using an overlay/50% gray layer set of overlay

8. The Eye folds were done by using the pen tool to make a path along the eye folds in the base image and then stroking it with a very small and soft brush. Then I would duplicate this layer numerous times applying varying degrees of Gaussian blur to create the shadow cause the fold.

That’s it pretty much. I merged the layers, took it back to the original working file and masked around the edges of the eyes to make sure it all blended in.

Again, this is my first time ever doing eyes and making a tutorial too so sorry if my instructions are a bit hard to follow. In the future I would also add making small wrinkles under the eye lid using paths (not just a single line but more like two lines joint at the same ends in the form of a smile) using varying shades of localized colours. I hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Entire-Workflow.jpg (91.7 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (94.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.2 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (93.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (95.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (94.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (94.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (86.0 KB, 244 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin

Adobe Moose: Thank you so much. This is very helpful
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 AM

No problem. I will post more examples as I do them. Now I do have some questions for anyone out there at might know the answer to them:

I would like to know how to make someone bald (as I have seen in the video, the model he uses does have hair and he manages to remove it in post). Any guesses would be a great starting point for me.

Also how does one use custom patters in the manner that he uses them? I say this because he is shown cutting out paper circles, then placing them in a pattern and scanning it. Later one as he is clicking between layers you can see that he has a completely smooth skin as a base and then has the paper circles layered on top (displacement maps maybe? Though there doesn't seem enough contrast for that to work...). Grant later on in the same video he is shown placing strips on her face so I am guessing he does both.

Any guesses would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 PM

Is is possible for you to create a Video and post it to youtube. This is great work and I will really see the details of it. I know a lot of people will love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Moose View Post
No problem. I will post more examples as I do them. Now I do have some questions for anyone out there at might know the answer to them:

I would like to know how to make someone bald (as I have seen in the video, the model he uses does have hair and he manages to remove it in post). Any guesses would be a great starting point for me.

Also how does one use custom patters in the manner that he uses them? I say this because he is shown cutting out paper circles, then placing them in a pattern and scanning it. Later one as he is clicking between layers you can see that he has a completely smooth skin as a base and then has the paper circles layered on top (displacement maps maybe? Though there doesn't seem enough contrast for that to work...). Grant later on in the same video he is shown placing strips on her face so I am guessing he does both.

Any guesses would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 PM

great tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM

You can make someone bald multiple ways. The first being simply to use your airbrush tool & add back in texture. With a good hand and refined technique in airbrushing, you could probably do it in 10 minutes or less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 AM

In the video he lays the paper pattern's/textures on the models skin and photographs them. He seems to usually cover most of the front of the models face, after that it would be a fairly straightforward thing to lay in a flat scanned (or photographed) sample and warp it to the softer curves of the rest of the face. Displacement map may help, but i have a feeling he would get a lot more out of warping and liquify.

As for the bauld head, it look like in a lot of them the top is cropped off but my to guesses would be to either simply use paths and paint it in and or composite a second photograph with a bald cap and pain over.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching