RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin)

Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM

The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin)

Hey everyone! Its my first time posting here and I just saw the world of Russian fine art photographer Oleg Dou and its simply shocking to see his work. Now I understand that his base image is done using a Hassleblad and a very large Octobox but what I want to know is how exactly he gets the flawless skin done in post using photoshop?

His work is here:

http://olegdou.com/

Lets figure this out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Re: The Oleg Dou Effect (Surreal and Flawless Skin

No one? Really? Come one! There must be someone out there who can atleast give me a ballpark idea of what could have been done. Maybe something to do with surface blur? Paths on the eye lids? Gaussian blur on the whites of the eyes? I'm guessing he uses gradients somewhere on the face?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 AM

Dust&Scratches, loads of desaturation, some grain added back and some fake depth of field.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM

How would the dust&scratches be used exactly? And I have noticed that he removes the hair in the photos so I guesses he uses paths to trace out the top of their heads and then remove the hair?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 PM

it could also be make-up as far as the baldness is concerned.

Yep, multiple passes of dust and scratches, and median combined with other blurs to achieve uniform smoothnes.

Also, great brushwork, as in painting on a new layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Moose View Post
Now I understand that his base image is done using a Hassleblad and a very large Octobox but what I want to know is how exactly he gets the flawless skin done in post using photoshop?
Flawless doesn't have to mean textureless. It's just on some of these I think he wanted to go that route. You'll need to know masking. It's never just one thing, so you have to be able to separate elements. He leaves more or less texture on some of them. He leaves in different lines and features. Most of the eyes look hand painted. I mean they look like they were redrawn via illustration in photoshop. They use the same lighting, but this doesn't mean such lighting can't be used in the process of illustration. I also see some evidence of something like that on the rim of an upper eyelid as it makes an unusual highlight. I'm not sure on the tears. The shadows could be burned/dodged as needed for refinement.

The only way you're truly going to figure this out 100% is if you repeat it from a similarly lit photo. You bring up your reference. You start hitting obvious points. As you get into it, details should become obvious, as you would match one thing, then another wouldn't match. You can deduce what he may have done to a degree. It's not like there's a big mystery here. He came up with a look that worked for him and he went with it.

Also go look at fantasy illustrations to see what I mean about the eyes. I'm not saying they're definitely hand painted, but they could be. They could also just be adjusted after some prior steps comparable to what was done to the skin. Some of the textures on the skin on some of them could be makeup stuff that has been retouched to that level of consistency. It could be painted and layered texture in photoshop. I think it's partially makeup and later retouching.

I've never found it productive to ask how to achieve the aesthetic of a photographer. It's not a set formula here. If you copy the lighting and setup on one as close as possible, then try to break down the post a step at a time (softness, overall lighting, color, individual detailing), you'll get much closer than you would asking on here. You'd probably gain more trying this then posting when you hit a snag on how to approach one of the necessary changes. Like it's easier to say how do I go about making these eyes look like the ones from this photo than address a full body of work without a point of comparison.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Thank you, that is an excellent post. I do plan on attempting this effect with my own photo taken under similar conditions. I just wanted the community's input on what they thought went into the process so once I started I would have more ideas in mind on how to approach it.

Here is a video about him and how he works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ooPrqJ5in4

He's the poster boy for the new Photoshop CS6 (but not the extended version it seems). Anyone else is free to also give some input and Ill post my attempt once I'm done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Patron

Kav,

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. I personally find the analysis here to be extremely valuable. For some of these examples I don't have a clue where to begin and the comments here are quite valuable starting points (or even solutions). For other examples it greatly shortens the learning curve for me.

Part of it in my situation is that I don't have a lot of time to do experimenting and need to be as efficient as possible with the little time I have.

But I do agree that experimenting around and trying things gives experience that can't be achieved with other peoples' instructions. I think it depends on each person's learning style, experience and time available.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 06-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM

All of these replies have been incredibly helpful and have provided a base for me to being with. Ill post my finished work once I'm done for your opinions and critiques. Now I am also wondering, how can I achieve a smooth gradient background without many banding? I know this seems like an age old photoshop question and I don't want to resort to using the noise filter method (and I am already working in 16-bit mode) but is it simply that I am using two colours that are just too similar and thus cannot create a smooth transition from one to the other?

I am trying to make a background gradient from #4e4a4a to #211f1e btw. Thanks people!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Patron

Depends on what you want to achieve.

Have you tried using the Gradient tool to create a gradient that blends from one color to the other? Sorry for the basic question.... If you create a gradient and blur it, that can often get rid of banding.

You could create a blank new layer, make a gradient on it, then either use it for a background or put the layer in Color mode.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching