RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Easy One: Vivid Colors

Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 AM

Easy One: Vivid Colors

I know this may seem easy for some, but I was wondering how do you get these vivid colors?
http://www.fashionising.com/pictures...73-164654.html

I've been adding a hue and saturation layer set to softlight. Then I add another hue & saturation layer and individually select colors. Do a little masking. Then I boost the saturation for each colored clothing. I know I'm the crappiest re-toucher but can somebody send me a few suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Re: Easy One: Vivid Colors

Two things I'd recommend. First, look at the alternatives to Hue/Sat for increasing saturation. Second, look at using saturation masks to control the effect of each method.

Here is a video I made recently comparing different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh7Ta-Dz6_c
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the video! It was very informing.

It think we are talking about the same thing when you say use saturation masks to control each method. That's what I've been trying to do, but it doesn't get close to the effect. Especially with the contrasty look of the skin. Do you see what I'm talking about? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Don't confuse saturation with tone. The "contrasty" look of the skin in the sample you gave is the result of the lighting on the subject. It was shot in bright, direct sunlight, so high contrast is the natural result. If it had been shot in soft, diffused light (cloudy, overcast) and processed with the same saturation, the result would be quite different.

You can "tonemap" a flat image to increase contrast. Lot's of ways to do that. Levels and Curves are most common, and can be enhanced with luminosity masks. Applying a USM filter with high radius and low amount (called Hiraloam) is another way. Using plugins like Topaz Adjust or some HDR processors is yet another way.

Saturation and tone are closely linked, and many tone adjustments will also impact saturation, unless you take steps to avoid that. For example, a Levels or Curves adjustment will increase saturation in "normal" blend mode, but will not in "luminosity" blend mode.

And saturation adjustments can affect tone. As the video shows, each saturation method boosts both saturation and brightness, and the methods differ in how the do that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:14 PM

You can try converting the image to lab color mode. add a levels adjustment layer to the image. Do not make any adjustments to the lightness channel. Choose the a channel, in the first box that has a 0 (zero) raise that for starters to 40, tab to the last box with 255 and reduce that by 40 to 215. Choose the b channel and repeat the process using the same numbers raise to 40 reduce to 215. If there is to much saturation in one of the colors double click on a blank area of the levels layer to bring up the blending options dialog box. go to blend if and choose the a or b channel which ever has the color that is to saturated and use the blend if sliders to reduce the saturation. Find the low area you need to keep the color you want and hold the alt key on windows machine command on mac. and separate the slider for a smoother transition.
If you need more info then i will try and get some snap shots of what needs to be done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Actually, I got pretty close with Red Crown's method. I never heard of the HSV & HSL unitil now. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrown View Post
Two things I'd recommend. First, look at the alternatives to Hue/Sat for increasing saturation. Second, look at using saturation masks to control the effect of each method.

Here is a video I made recently comparing different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh7Ta-Dz6_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo2216 View Post
Thanks for the video! It was very informing.

It think we are talking about the same thing when you say use saturation masks to control each method. That's what I've been trying to do, but it doesn't get close to the effect. Especially with the contrasty look of the skin. Do you see what I'm talking about? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrown View Post
Don't confuse saturation with tone. The "contrasty" look of the skin in the sample you gave is the result of the lighting on the subject. It was shot in bright, direct sunlight, so high contrast is the natural result. If it had been shot in soft, diffused light (cloudy, overcast) and processed with the same saturation, the result would be quite different.

You can "tonemap" a flat image to increase contrast. Lot's of ways to do that. Levels and Curves are most common, and can be enhanced with luminosity masks. Applying a USM filter with high radius and low amount (called Hiraloam) is another way. Using plugins like Topaz Adjust or some HDR processors is yet another way.

Saturation and tone are closely linked, and many tone adjustments will also impact saturation, unless you take steps to avoid that. For example, a Levels or Curves adjustment will increase saturation in "normal" blend mode, but will not in "luminosity" blend mode.

And saturation adjustments can affect tone. As the video shows, each saturation method boosts both saturation and brightness, and the methods differ in how the do that.
Thanks! I see what your saying now. Ill try that USM filter method in a few.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimatrix001 View Post
You can try converting the image to lab color mode. add a levels adjustment layer to the image. Do not make any adjustments to the lightness channel. Choose the a channel, in the first box that has a 0 (zero) raise that for starters to 40, tab to the last box with 255 and reduce that by 40 to 215. Choose the b channel and repeat the process using the same numbers raise to 40 reduce to 215. If there is to much saturation in one of the colors double click on a blank area of the levels layer to bring up the blending options dialog box. go to blend if and choose the a or b channel which ever has the color that is to saturated and use the blend if sliders to reduce the saturation. Find the low area you need to keep the color you want and hold the alt key on windows machine command on mac. and separate the slider for a smoother transition.
If you need more info then i will try and get some snap shots of what needs to be done.
Thanks! Sounds a little risky because you can unintentionally leave a color oversaturated. I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I'll try your method. I will let you know if I need screen shots. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:46 PM

This photo was fixed using the method i explained above. the top picture is the original and my fix is farther down the comments.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thompso...-40429475@N00/

Hope this helps seeing the process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimatrix001 View Post
This photo was fixed using the method i explained above. the top picture is the original and my fix is farther down the comments.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thompso...-40429475@N00/

Hope this helps seeing the process.
Thanks! Even though the original image you used had diffused lighting, you still got nice vivid colors.

One thing I'm stuck on is when you said "Find the low area you need to keep the color you want and hold the alt key on windows machine command on mac. and separate the slider for a smoother transition."

Can you show screen shots of this part? Thank you!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching