RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Final color toning/grading in CMYK

Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Final color toning/grading in CMYK

Hello i recently bought Stanislav Petera's Masterclass 3-color and tonality. He had absolutely some interesting points and one is the final color toning/grading is done after converting to CMYK. The argument for this is that CMYK gives more natural,realistic and softer tones than RGB.
Do any of you tone/grade pictures in CMYK? Please share your view on this matter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Re: Final color toning/grading in CMYK

I suppose one could go off on a long debate about this, but, if you're a pro, or aspire to be one, forget about working in cmyk.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM

The color gamut is more restricted, although some cmyk profiles contain colors especially in areas like maroon that don't really exist in the most common rgb spaces. There are some benefits I guess, but the typical Adobe 1998 workflow can work just fine. You just need to be aware of how not to create your own headaches and problems.

In case it's not clear, I'm saying it's a bad idea and that the author probably thinks this because it has a much more restricted gamut. If he's sloppy with his adjustments this would make a lot of sense.

Last edited by kav; 06-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
I suppose one could go off on a long debate about this, but, if you're a pro, or aspire to be one, forget about working in cmyk.
Amen. A very dangerous color model to be playing around with unless you really know what you’re doing and have a proper CMYK conversion to start with. And the argument for this is that CMYK gives more natural,realistic and softer tones than RGB is hogwash.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Hi thanks for the replies:
I don`t see the argument about being a pro then forget CMYK. Judging by his work Stanislav Petera is absolutely a pro. I also THINK Carrie Beene works a lot in CMYK, but i am not sure.
I am also aware of the restricted gamut , but is there a wide gamut cmyk profile?, because i think it would be worth playing around to see if it could give some interesting results

I found this:
http://curvemeister.com/tutorials/wi...cmyk/index.htm

maybe i could avoid negative effects using this profile?

Last edited by Rust; 06-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Hi thanks for the replies:
I don`t see the argument about being a pro then forget CMYK. Judging by his work Stanislav Petera is absolutely a pro. I also THINK Carrie Beene works a lot in CMYK, but i am not sure.
I am also aware of the restricted gamut , but is there a wide gamut cmyk profile?, because i think it would be worth playing around to see if it could give some interesting results

I found this:
http://curvemeister.com/tutorials/wi...cmyk/index.htm

maybe i could avoid negative effects using this profile?
you want CMYK profile that will give you the same image as in RGB?

in the OP you stated: "The argument for this is that CMYK gives more natural,realistic and softer tones than RGB."

... I hope you see the nonsense
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM

I'll just throw in a link or two that might be of interest for some of you who like to work with CMYK channels but don't want to actually convert their files to a CMYK space (because of whatever reasons, mainly what's been posted above already).
The first link is an action that'll create different layers that stacked together simulate the CMYK channels in RGB mode: http://sean-blog.twicebakedphoto.com...yk-in-rgb.html
The second link explains the mechanics of this action a little bit: http://sean-blog.twicebakedphoto.com...explained.html

However personally I would highly recommend to first try and see if you can achieve the same results in RGB before applying "cheap tricks" like the one above that might overcomplicate your workflow and introduce other problems that you might not be aware of at the beginning!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I don`t see the argument about being a pro then forget CMYK. Judging by his work Stanislav Petera is absolutely a pro.
Because, if you attempted to work for a studio, or submit work to a client at a high level, you would have to work in RGB. Just the way it is. The CMYK conversion takes place in the pre press stage, for obvious reasons. This fellow, of course, is a pro, because he makes money doing what he does as a photographer, but don't assume because of that he's a very respected retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM

If you eventually print your images, understanding CMYK is essential. Final prep should always be done in the output color space. We see a lot of nice RGB files fall apart when converted because the Photographer or Artist did not take CMYK limitations into account when preparing the file. We use whatever color space is necessary to achieve the desired results. Some adjustments are easier and more effective in RGB, some are better in CMYK, and others are best accomplished in LAB. I will not hire a retoucher who is ignorant of CMYK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
If you eventually print your images, understanding CMYK is essential.
To be clear, I do a ton of printing and not very much ever ends up CMYK (I’m printing to an ink jet).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching