RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Using Lightroom instead of the RAW converter

Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Using Lightroom instead of the RAW converter

I'm trying to absorb as much as possible off of you people so I can get a solid workflow going.

Currently I use Lightroom(3) as a photomanagment program where I do a ghetto color correction job, adjust exposure, play with curves, and then I edit in photoshop as a smart object.

My ultimate goal is to have the knowledge and skill to be able to produce Vogue worthy retouches.

Should I even touch Lightroom?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Re: Using Lightroom instead of the RAW converter

What a great question, I'll be interested in the responses. I also much prefer LR for everything in regards to processing all my initial files.
It might very well be a case of what you get used to.
I used to use the RC but once I switched to LR I only every use the RC for the occasional one of because of convience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 PM

If the question is, should you use a raw converter to do as much work as possible before resorting to Photoshop, the answer is yes (and we can get into reasons why). If the question is, should you process the raw data in ACR or LR, the answer is, the two are the same in terms of the processing engine and about 98% of the options and controls, both versions being on parity. In fact you can move from LR to ACR and back if you so desire again assuming the two are on the same version parity. There are some workflow advantages LR has over ACR such as unlimited history, Virtual Copies etc. But in terms of image processing, they are the same. At least in terms of the Develop module and ACR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM

After watching some retouching, I think I'll be doing the actual work in ACR while using LR as a management program. It seems as though ACR is slightly more complete for retouching than LR is.

Also, how can I open photos from LR directly into ACR?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nma1den View Post
After watching some retouching, I think I'll be doing the actual work in ACR while using LR as a management program. It seems as though ACR is slightly more complete for retouching than LR is.
Also, how can I open photos from LR directly into ACR?
When LR and ACR are on version parity (example LR4 and ACR7) the processing is identical. In fact you can move from LR to ACR and back. If anything, LR offers more options outside the processing in terms of an unlimited history (ACR has none) and the ability to build iterations using Virtual Copies.

You can’t open directly from LR to ACR. When you use the Edit in Photoshop command, LR instructs ACR to render the data (again assuming the two are within version parity). But if you edit in LR, the metadata instructions are saved and ACR can see them. So all you’d have to do is use the Photoshop Open command, select the raw and ACR will ‘open’ it and you’ll see the same appearance you saw in LR. Edit away. Those new edits are saved as XMP metadata that LR will now recognize.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM

I am just wondering what circimstances I would need to be switch between both, except maybe a special or loved preset.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
I am just wondering what circumstances I would need to be switch between both, except maybe a special or loved preset.
From ACR to LR? You wouldn't need to. The only reason you might is needing to work on the raw files on a machine that doesn't have LR (or passing it on to someone else) or if your exporting from LR as a smart object in PS which would give you the ability to then open and edit the raw file within photoshop through ACR without having to return to LR. ACR is important when moving a raw file from LR to Photoshop through the "Edit In" dialog because ACR does the conversion of the RAW when bring it into photoshop.Otherwise LR has to render it creating a tiff first and then opening the tiff into photoshop.

If you are using LR as your main Raw editor and as an important part of your workflow then there is no real reason to leave LR for ACR except to know you can because they are the same editing engines (as long as you both software up to date).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
I am just wondering what circimstances I would need to be switch between both, except maybe a special or loved preset.
About the only time would be using the raw as a smart object. It might start in LR and end up as a SO, then if you wish to re-edit, that SO would make a call to ACR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nma1den View Post
My ultimate goal is to have the knowledge and skill to be able to produce Vogue worthy retouches.

Should I even touch Lightroom?
If you want to do Vogue-worthy retouches you need Photoshop and some really good teaching videos. Lightroom is not going to get you there.

Save that money and buy Natalia Taffarel's DVD or some other top-grade retouching DVD with the money you'd otherwise spend on Lightroom. The Adobe Camera Raw module that's included with Photoshop will do anything core to retouching that Lightroom can do except file management. You can do file management on-disk yourself.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 07-02-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 PM

As a working photographer (for 30 years using PS since 1991) I have never seen any reason to puchase LR. I agree with Robert - spend the money on something else.

LR is essentially DAM software with adjust facilities built in. I use Photo Mechanic for asset management and ACR for RAW processing. My clients are happy, and I'm happy because there's a few hundred dollars in my pocket that otherwise wouldn't be there.

But if you don't already have a DAM system in operation, LR is as good as any (IMHO).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching