RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Bad Skin

Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Re: Bad Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Ey! A fun 20 min challenge! I'll give it a go!
Like others have said, the healing/cloning/DB way would be the easier route to take. And probably the quickest.
It's nowhere near what I'd call "bad skin".
Don't overcomplicate it; though when cloning or healing areas around the eyes, one should be mindful to follow the patterns of the skin quite carefully.
And unlike kav, I do DB at much smaller magnifications rather than 100%.
I do a lot of the detail work at 100% as it's fully uninterpolated that way. It is important to be careful when viewing things large, as it's possible to lose context. I don't typically zoom in past 100%. Some of the lighting work can be done out further. It's just that when I've tested the smoothness of my strokes when working zoomed out, I'm not always happy enough with the accuracy and if I have to redo things because of it, it just kills any time saved. I just thought I'd explain. I usually suggest turning off any sharpening and avoiding too much contrast in the skin before doing anything weird like the OP suggested (something about noise). I agree that this isn't actually bad skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
I think everyone could agree that the original image was aclear example of "bad skin." What it takes to make it good is mostly dependent on what the client wants. Creative direction is everything in this work, and, unfortunately, it usually moves in reverse: they don't know what they want, but they'll know what they don't want, after they see it. Eventually the options get whittled away until what's left is the desired goal.

Kav's result is certainly valid, for certain applications. My sample was more in the way of showing what could be done: whether it should be done is a whole different question, one that I wait for the client to answer.
I never liked things to look too smooth. I'm also considering the context. This appears to be a crop, and the final may contain a lot of the face. Even makeup ads will often show some of the larger levels of skin texture, but they'll be in context. Typically pores on the cheek are some of the larger ones. When you see this along with the rest of the face, they no longer look so gigantic. It's more of a psycho optic trick than anything here. I only spent maybe 5-7 minutes at most on it, and I tried to preserve the curvature in a couple areas. Anyway it's just an explanation.

By the way, regarding creative direction, you have to be careful. If you take it in a direction they don't like, some art directors won't know what to say. If they aren't being very clear, it's easy to start with obvious things. If the skin is too red, or the subject has acne, unless there's a clear reason for this to be part of the shot, you are safe in removing such distractions. I would not double the length of someone's lashes if it wasn't on a list of requests. I would straighten a belt or hide hair extensions without being asked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Hi Kav,

When you talk about rebuilding, as you have done in this thread and others, I've been meaning to ask you what you mean.

a k
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I've been meaning to ask you what you mean.
No problem. I mean patching it via something like lasso + layer via copy from another area and shading to match lighting and color. I know the patch tool exists. I like my method better as I get to mess with the layer mask if I want to do so. Sometimes it gives me more control than cloning or healing if we're talking about a larger area. I like the grain of the skin to align perfectly. If you have to clone out a lot of large acne on someone's forehead sometimes you'll end up with discontinuous texture. I dislike this as any further work would go on top of a result that doesn't feel totally seamless to me. It's pretty commonly used on background objects and things. I probably do this more than most people. If I can't clone something as I want it on the first try, I lose interest and do this instead as it has been reliable for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 PM

I thought that was what you meant. I do that a lot too. Apart from anything else, it means you have the 'elbow room' to apply rapid shading, adjustments etc, without bothering about 'going over the edges'. I find the state of mind in making a patch rather than working with the existing problem area is a far more positive, relaxed and decisive one. If you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I find the state of mind in making a patch rather than working with the existing problem area is a far more positive, relaxed and decisive one. If you know what I mean.
I think I get you. I just like some wiggle room to line things up in a pleasing manner whenever possible. With larger areas (say more than 5px or so) I don't necessarily like the results of cloning, and this is easier than trying to find the perfect spot to source in the cloning process. Given that the process is somewhat additive, I try to be careful with any given change.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching