RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Add point to curve in Photoshop CS6?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 AM

Add point to curve in Photoshop CS6?

Hey guys,

I upgraded to CS6 yesterday and everything seems to be working fine, however it seems like they changed the keyboard shortcut to add a point to a curve (in CS5 you can just Command-click on the image and a point was added to the curve based on the specific tone you selected). When I Command-click now, I get the move tool. Does anyone know what they changed it to?

Last edited by jhr; 10-08-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Re: Add point to curve in Photoshop CS6?

Click on that little icon that looks like a hand. You can either click within the image to set a point or click and drag to alter that area of the tone curve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi Andrew! Thanks for the reply! Okay so they removed the Command-click functionality in PS6? It feels a bit unprecise compared to the click IMHO since the Command-click just added the point but didn't have the drag function :-)

Last edited by jhr; 07-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM

I rarely used that keyboard command in CS5 but it seems in cs 6 to work with "option/alt" to add a point to the curve based on the tonality of area selected. To make it work though you need to go into the "Properties" panel when a curve layer is active and go to the contextual menu on the upper right and make sure "Auto Select Target Adjustment Too" is checked, otherwise the command wont work. Though having the Target Adjustment tool active my default kind of defeats the point of the keyboard command unless you want to add a point without also having to move that point on the curve.

Here is more on the subject: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/04...el_in_cs5.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 AM

Hi ratpat13!
I tried your suggestion. You are right, the Target Adjustment tool is automatically selected when activating that setting though the Command-click won't work (still just the Move tool). In CS5, the Command-click function in curves creates a point in the curve without having the ability to drag that point using mouse/pen. Although i'd prefer the CS5 functionality (or having both of the two worlds since the Target Adjustment tool is available in CS5 aswell) I suppose just using the TA just requires some getting use to. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by jhr; 10-08-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM

With the "Auto Select.." option still checked did you try it holding "Option/Alt" instead of "Command"? You should just be to left click with no modifier key (an no dragging) to place a point in the curve.

Last edited by ratpat13; 07-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 AM

Oh, Option/Alt! My bad! Sorry!
I tried that just now, it seems to be working just the same without having to hold Option/Alt. Left click and a point is added but the ability to drag is still there. As you probably can guess by now, I'm not a big fan of dragging the point. I usually use my keyboards up and down, side to side arrows to move the points. But really, it's no biggie. The Auto Select adds a point, I just have to be more aware that the dragging functionality is there so I don't move the points by mistake. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 AM

Ok good i'm glad i wasn't missing something, its hard to keep track of all the small changes they make. From what i can find that's the only way. Yeah no need to hold down the keyboard command, it just getting use to clicking without dragging to set the point without moving it and then go to the curve.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 AM

I just discovered that the Command-click in curves I was looking for is still in CS6 and works just the same as in CS5. Try pressing Command+M (to bring out the Curves dialog) on, for example, a layermask and then Command-click on a certain tone range in the mask. By default the Command-click works just fine when using the Curves dialog instead of creating a adjustment layer and then modifying the curve in the Properties panel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHoglund View Post
I just discovered that the Command-click in curves I was looking for is still in CS6 and works just the same as in CS5. Try pressing Command+M (to bring out the Curves dialog) on, for example, a layermask and then Command-click on a certain tone range in the mask. By default the Command-click works just fine when using the Curves dialog instead of creating a adjustment layer and then modifying the curve in the Properties panel.
Yup! The issue we may both have had is that if you are on a layer that isn’t apprporate for this usage, (like an existing Curves layer) the command click doesn’t work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching