RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

any HP2475w owners here?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM

any HP2475w owners here?

I've bought one HP2475w 24" wide gamut display and I should be really happy, but this is the second screen I am trying and so far both of them suffered from the infamous green to magenta tint on both corners of the screen...

it is really frustrating as I am not sure a third screen would be any better or if there is a fix for this issue out there.

Anyone here has one of these or heard about this issue, or better yet... anybody know of a fix for it?

I am afraid that the step up from this display would cost 2x as much.

PS: other than that this display is absolutely fantastic!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM

Re: any HP2475w owners here?

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do here. Typical colorimeter profiling adjusts everything evenly. Some displays do employ custom methods of evening things out, but there is really nothing you can do here. If you do try a different display, look at NEC or Dell as budget options. I always avoid Apple displays even though I use their computers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM

There’s no fix. If it is really bad, I’d send it back.

The NEC SpectraView has a technology that greatly aid’s in eliminating this issue called ColorComp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM

I could argue that I could get used to it... but it doesn't make sense to have something like this!

I have seen the NEC looks great... but its a weeeee bit expensive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_fuzz View Post
I could argue that I could get used to it... but it doesn't make sense to have something like this!

What's your budget like? There are other options. I forgot in the UK NEC is much more expensive than it is here. If I lived there, I'd suggest Eizo every time given how close they are in price over there. They're almost identical in the UK. Here NEC is cheaper and Eizo is more expensive when adjusted for local currency. The NEC PA271W is only around £640 + a bit more if you want spectraview and a colorimeter (different software here, and they don't firmware lock the non-spectraview models).

Anyway I'd look at Dell. They have a couple budget models that are rated quite well. They're not quite on the level of NEC/Eizo, but it's not like you're having much luck with HP. If something is bad out of the box, I don't suggest you learn to live with it. These things change over time. It might look much worse a year from now. My last NEC drifted immensely after the first year. It's shifted considerably from its original profile even though spectraview helps. I haven't found colorcomp to track well with aging on older models. This is one area where I don't know if they've improved. While they're not always stable, they are practically immortal. I mean it seems to just last forever even though it's not as accurate or as high in contrast as it started.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You get what you pay for! There’s far more to this display system than just wide gamut. In terms of the control over calibration, hard to beat. And I suspect you’ll buy such a display and use it for years and years, unlike say the CPU.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM

Lol i replace it like 4x and the last one was like a yr later after the 3rd replacement. Gotta love HP customer service!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Those NEC monitors look incredible, they have the spectraview reference 241 paired with an Eizo 24 at Calumet, and to my eyes NEC is right up there with Eizo. but that thing is incredibly expensive!

now a doubt, there is NEC Multisync PA241W and also NEC Spectraview Reference 241 they both appear to be wide gamut, but the difference is 2x in price.
What would be the main difference and advantages of one over the other?

Budget-wise, The HP ( £360 ) was perfect as I am at a point in my career that I rather invest in photography equipment over monitors etc... but what needs to be done needs to be done, so If I can get a leasing on a NEC I wouldnt mind going for it. does that make sense?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmondphoto View Post
Lol i replace it like 4x and the last one was like a yr later after the 3rd replacement. Gotta love HP customer service!
this is insane.... my HP retailer offerend me a full refund instead of offering a new replacement, claiming they never had any complaints about these screen.... surely they don't check the internet since 2008.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
now a doubt, there is NEC Multisync PA241W and also NEC Spectraview Reference 241 they both appear to be wide gamut, but the difference is 2x in price.
They're different where you live. The Spectraview displays are firmware locked and supposedly binned on parts. Here they are basically the same, and you can get a display with spectraview kit (which is different software) for around $1000 USD.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching