RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hair Lightness problem. need an advice

Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Question Hair Lightness problem. need an advice

Hi all!
help me
i don't know what can i do with this picture

http://s017.radikal.ru/i430/1207/a4/bac370333bcc.jpg

1. what was
2. what i done
3. what client wants
4. what i done like client wants, but it looks sooo bad..

I flattened hair with dodge and burn, then i gave dark volume with dnb, too.
Without this volume hair looks like on the picture 4.

client wants to flatten all the tone on the photo. He told me that hair must be murge with face tint and all must be murged with background tint. and i must lighten the hair

How can i lighten the hair and make it looks good??

p.s. sorry for my english

Last edited by Aleks Mind; 07-08-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Re: Hair Lightness problem. need an advice

What you've done is just fine!

Changing the hair color THAT MUCH is not a reasonable request. If I were you, I'd tell them just that.

If they want color of the extension to mach her natural growth, they should've used a better hair artist, also you might want to match those two by darkening the extension a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
What you've done is just fine!

Changing the hair color THAT MUCH is not a reasonable request. If I were you, I'd tell them just that.
I don't see what you're getting at here. The original is much lighter than number 2. Building in some of those gaps would be a pain in the ass and very tedious, but the rest is just an issue of mask+ adjust midtones and color to client reference. Paint highlights and shadows appropriately. The OP's reference number 4 is much cooler in tone. I don't know if this was his intention. I would suggest this is tedious more than impossible. You may run into some very very annoying painting when it comes to those smaller strands. It's the kind of thing where I'd say if it's beyond your skill level, send it out. The reference is quite a bit more red, and you'd need to do a lot of (annoying) matching work on those wisps or repaint them. The main body isn't just an issue of make adjustment curve and done. Given the scope of the changes, you will have to do a lot of painting to get the lighting just right. Otherwise it will continue to feel flat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post

If they want color of the extension to mach her natural growth, they should've used a better hair artist, also you might want to match those two by darkening the extension a bit.
Ah yes, those unreasonable clients. Be so nice to have the luxury to sit in the summer shade sipping mojitos , waiting for a more reasonable batch to show up. But until that happy result, those unreasonable clients with their annoying requests pay the bills so one wonders who's being unreasonable? As for better hair artists... heck, why not just tell them to use better models who don't need retouching at all. That sounds reasonable.

Aleks Mind: it's a multi-step process, but not as difficult as you think. Like Kav said, it's mostly tedious. You've gotten off to a decent enough start with version 4, but to match the texture of v3, you're going to have to do some very creative cloning with multiple clone sources, or you're going to have to paint in some strands by hand. You'd be surprise at how few it takes to create the smooth look you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Well, I am a beginner photographer, and while I am getting better with each shoot both in terms of photography, and in terms of retouching, I always tell my clients to expect no more than what they saw in my portfolio. Never have I had any complaints, as it is what got them my way in the first place-my previous work and word of mouth.

So, yes. if someone working on a project finds a substantial portion of it to be problematic, chances are, he or she hasn't done that before, and there is no such work presented in his or her portfolio, and thus, is an unreasonable request.

I am not saying you're a bad retoucher, and I sure don't want to offend you 2 guys, but it's how I perceive the situation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Here's what I see as an unreasonable request: the client shows me a package with a day-glo Pantone color and wants it reproduced in CMYK for a print ad. I'd have no qualms looking the them in the eye and saying "It can't be done." Because it can't.

I used to work in a place that had a salesman who'd bring in Powerpoint files and want them sized up for large posters. "But you have to keep the quality." It's 72 dpi. Again, unreasonable as it's not possible to satisfy the request.

Aesthetic issues are another thing. For you, your portfolio is what you sell, and so I see what you're getting at. "This is me, take it or leave it."

I'm a hired gun. The client wants what they want and, aside from the laws of physics and color theory, I give them want they want, the way they want it, or they get someone else. So we're not quite talking about the same thing.

Still, I don't see that the OP shows an unreasonable request on the part of the client. Pretty much standard procedure, really. "Here, take this pile of crap and make it beautiful. Oh, yeah, and keep it real."
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 AM

I'm just saying that they may have hired a wrong guy for this particular job. When things are misinterpreted during the initial meeting/correspondence, it leaves too much room for error. I am not saying Aleks is a bad retoucher, I am not saying that the client is crazy, I am just saying that there are choices to be made out there. And if someone wants to turn an African girl into a Norwegian boy, they should a) hire someone who doesn't think it's a problem b) try to be satisfied whit what they've got if they haven't paid for the guy who had done it a million times. My advice to Aleks is to try not to affect things so dramatically without consulting the client no matter how good it looks to him or me.

P.S. An unreasonable request becomes a normal thing once the client agrees to pay for the extra amount of work. Any other case, and it is unreasonable.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching