RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to: great wedding photos ?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Re: how to: great wedding photos ?

first... a really good lens (!!!) without that you'll get flat images. i mean. nothing to work on with the contrasts/luminosity except on an overal basis... which isnt great
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM

a really good lens ? i have one, 50mm 1.4. trust me, is really good. the picture was shoot with that lens.

maybe i don't understand your message
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 PM

The couple is gorgeous, that they're in love, then they're dressed wonderfully and they completely fit the setting, which is also gorgeous, and shot on an overcast day. Then come the filters and selective blurring and you get the look.

Get out and take some great shots, plants, nature, animals, whatever you have at your disposal. Then, try to replicate the look.

First get the image, or download a similar image from the net.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM

I like this couple. They look very happy!

You've received all the advice you need - good lighting, overcast day to reduce contrast, perhaps an action. However, when I downloaded the image, I discovered many distracting bright points, and the white balance was off. Her dress is over-exposed. So all those things are at play here. I can see the catchlights in their eyes, so I gather you used flash. It needs to be softened a bit.

I edited the image to approximate what you like according to the link you provided. However, getting this image there from where it started wouldn't yield quite the soft, muted tones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0532-edit.jpg (95.7 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reko View Post
a really good lens ? i have one, 50mm 1.4. trust me, is really good. the picture was shoot with that lens.

maybe i don't understand your message
The Canon one? I used it back a few weeks a few years back on a couple of cameras and I really didn't liked the feel of it...

No i mean, really good lenses.
50 1.2 85 1.2 ... Ok the AF is really slow etc but... The quality of the raw files, the contrast you get even as contre jour etc... It's defo a different world...
70-200 2.8 too etc... it gives something more than you can get with a 50 1.4.
Really. And trust me I'm not a gear freak etc, I don't look the latest new thing out here etc but... I just looked up things. And when you wanna get that kind of feel / look etc, when u shoot at the golden hour etc... A really great lens is crucial.

Check out my friend's weddings website.
He's from the U.S. but we met a few times here in Europe, he stayed at mine a few times and we even been to Istanbul together. When I looked at his raw files, it was ... So pure, so clean. Right exposure, cranking a bit the contrast and getting some warmer tones and boom... Capture One helps a lot too.

Check out his wedding work here:
http://collinhughesweddings.tumblr.com/

or his archives:
http://cargocollective.com/collinhughes

I think this is where you wanna go.
And trust me. Lenses. Without that it's a no go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM

xanthus1
can you explain me what steps you did in photoshop ?

3bigmamas
i respect you'r opinion but i saw people that doing wonders with cheap lenses

here is a new photo that i take at a wedding, i what to know your opinion and if i far away to the first link in first post.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83932138@N05/7686926380/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM

well yeah defo there's of course a way to pull out cool frames with cheap lenses... i do it myself ... look out http://3bigmamas.tumblr.com ... except the first ones, they're just snapshots from a festival where few of my mates were playing... look below, scroll a bit you'll see for yourself.

just saying that using that kind of expensive lenses like i listed above helps a lot... cuz you'll get a good contrast, good colors, good mood etc... nearly 100% of the time.
with a cheap lens well... it goes to about 5% i'll say? :-)

and about the new image you showed reko,
well ... you used a flash on axis... which isnt used on the pictures in the link from the first post. so it changes everything. not at all the same kind of lightning/shadows/mood etc... so you can apply whatever curves/effect doing whatever kind of retouching it will never get the same feel. ok you got your tones right for a shot like that. it might be a bit too saturated but its just my own opinion... but that's it. you will never get closer to that look/feel/mood if you flash your pics :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bigmamas View Post
well yeah defo there's of course a way to pull out cool frames with cheap lenses... i do it myself ... look out http://3bigmamas.tumblr.com ... except the first ones, they're just snapshots from a festival where few of my mates were playing... look below, scroll a bit you'll see for yourself.

just saying that using that kind of expensive lenses like i listed above helps a lot... cuz you'll get a good contrast, good colors, good mood etc... nearly 100% of the time.
with a cheap lens well... it goes to about 5% i'll say? :-)

and about the new image you showed reko,
well ... you used a flash on axis... which isnt used on the pictures in the link from the first post. so it changes everything. not at all the same kind of lightning/shadows/mood etc... so you can apply whatever curves/effect doing whatever kind of retouching it will never get the same feel. ok you got your tones right for a shot like that. it might be a bit too saturated but its just my own opinion... but that's it. you will never get closer to that look/feel/mood if you flash your pics :-)
+1 about the lighting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM

well yeah it is all about that... :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=reko;310165]xanthus1
can you explain me what steps you did in photoshop ?

The key things - with approximate times - I did were:

1) use the content aware fill and the patch tool to remove the bright distracting elements from the background. (2 minutes)

2) use levels to white balance the image. (10 seconds)

3) on a merged copy of the image, use Shadows/Highlights to reduce the highlights and slightly open the shadows. (30 seconds)

4) use a hue/saturation adjustment to reduce the saturation. (10 seconds)

5) use a gradient map adjustment layer set to the "light brown" and low opacity to warm the image. (1 minute)

6) give the image a vignette to bring the subject forward. (1 minute)

Some of that I would accomplish with standard images, such as the warming and vignette; but other things, such as parts 1 - 3, I would try to create with proper composition, lighting, and capture techniques. You won't possibly be able to fix large number of images with serious flaws with Photoshop alone. Best to get it as close to perfect in camera as one can. But you must know that!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching