RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve good pale skin tone

Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 AM

How to achieve good pale skin tone

Hi dear community,

I would like to achieve a pale skin tone in my images with keeping the contrast and with that, the drama in the picture.
I really like the work of Straulino and I wonder, how I can achieve such a skin tone?
Any advice?

http://www.studiostraulino.com/index.php

Best,
Peri
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Re: How to achieve good pale skkin tone

There are a million ways to make skin look more pale. Some are more nuanced than others.

An easy way to make skin tone more pale would be to create a mask for the skin and adjust the "vibrance" or saturation down using an adjustment layer. You will also need to pair that with a curves adjustment layer to bring the the contrast to where you want it. You might try two separate "vibrance" adjustments using the "blend if" slider on one of them to keep a little more color in the shadow so it does not look too fake.

Here is another method that works well for some kinds of white make-up effects:
http://youtu.be/A75HTPz0xEw

Cheers,
Amy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 PM

My favorite method is to simply add a B&W adjustment layer and then lower opacity to where I get the look I want.

Then maybe cycle through the B&W adjustment presets for desired contrast, or maybe even make some custom adjustments with the sliders.

With masking of course. But good pale skin tones require good normal skin tones to start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrown View Post
My favorite method is to simply add a B&W adjustment layer and then lower opacity to where I get the look I want.

Then maybe cycle through the B&W adjustment presets for desired contrast, or maybe even make some custom adjustments with the sliders.

With masking of course. But good pale skin tones require good normal skin tones to start.
I did it already with this method, but I didn't came near to what I wanted or expected :-/

Quote:
There are a million ways to make skin look more pale. Some are more nuanced than others.

An easy way to make skin tone more pale would be to create a mask for the skin and adjust the "vibrance" or saturation down using an adjustment layer. You will also need to pair that with a curves adjustment layer to bring the the contrast to where you want it. You might try two separate "vibrance" adjustments using the "blend if" slider on one of them to keep a little more color in the shadow so it does not look too fake.

Here is another method that works well for some kinds of white make-up effects:
http://youtu.be/A75HTPz0xEw

Cheers,
Amy
Hi Amy,
it doesn't necessarily need to be easy. You said something about more nuanced then other ones. Can you give a hint what technique you mean by that?

I know the Video of Natalia, am not quiet sure if it's the method I'm looking for. I want to keep the shadows and the drama in the picture. Straulino is doing such a great job in that case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 PM

Re: How to achieve good pale skin tone

That's easy!

(First, an explanation: I'm brazilian and don't speak a GOOOOD english. If someone doesn't understand me, I can try to say by other way.)

So, about the pale tone: the secret is in the midtones. Make a selection area that will be pale. Once selected, go to Image>Ajustments>Levels (or Control+L [Windows] | CMD + L [MAC] or use an ajustment layer [I prefer this way]).

Well, in the levels, drag the gray slider bellow the histogram and you'll get a pale tone. If you lost the contrast, just make other ajustment like Levels, Brighness&Contrast or Curves, for example.

TIP: To mantain the original colors of skin after apply the pale tone (but mantains it), just copy the original layer, put it above the pale tone layer (levels in ajustment layer or the edited layer, if you don't use ajustment layer) and choose the blend mode HUE.

I hope I have helped.

Last edited by Diogo.Lula; 07-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching