RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Can you work this out?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Can you work this out?

Can anyone work out how to get this sort of brown tone into an image. i have tried many things including:
colourizing black and white conversion, gradient maps, blend modes, colour balance playing with mid and shadow tones, playing with individual channels in hue/saturation and all i get is a look that looks like colour is stuck on as a layer over the original picture.
I cant get anything to look like the tone is taken properly into the picture and especially not with this deep level of brown tone.
Can anyone help? ive run out of ideas.

thankyou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browntone.jpg (83.6 KB, 149 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Patron

Re: Can you work this out?

Welcome to RetouchPRO
Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
Poke around, have fun!

A sample picture you would like the tone applied to... would help determine the process if you have tried all of the above.... I am sure a combination of some of what you tried would apply
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Hi thanks for the welcome, well the limit is 100k but ive attached somethign that could be used i guess.

thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fortoning.jpg (77.5 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Patron

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread (as you did here...except, link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload), but also please attach an under 100K version (as you did here) so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) dropbox.com/tour (2GIG, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image. (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM

Ok thanks for that, i have made it larger following the link you put up, if you need it really big i will put it on an external site but i would imagine people can work with this a bit?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4777.jpg (97.0 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Have both images open. Go Image-Adjustments-Match Color. Select Browntone as source. Settings as attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown.jpg (88.2 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotsam2 View Post
Have both images open. Go Image-Adjustments-Match Color. Select Browntone as source. Settings as attached.
Very neat. I'd seen that done before but didn't know how they did it (one of those "quick edit" videos).
I had a quick go at it myself going a different way. I desaturated the yellows and reds and added two brown color filters, one set to saturation blend mode and one to normal. Levels adjustment to brighten it up a bit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browntone layers.JPG (32.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4777.jpg (94.3 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 AM

Hi guys thanks for replying, you are both getting similar results to me. What I am tryin to achieve is that really deep rich brown tone as perthe original image which is almost like an expensive dark wood colour. Any more ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2front View Post
Hi guys thanks for replying, you are both getting similar results to me. What I am tryin to achieve is that really deep rich brown tone as perthe original image which is almost like an expensive dark wood colour. Any more ideas?
I wonder if the surroundings in that image were a brown granite to start with and then the tone was just pushed from there? It would make a difference in the final outcome. Granted I know that's not too helpful but beyond that I'm at a loss.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2front View Post
Your problems then are not of color but tonality/luminosity.

Look at the image you're trying to match. The brown is not rich in the lower portion where the tones are light, they're only rich in the deep shadows.

On the image you provided, the tones of significance are light (white railings, moldings and column (not to mention the window)).

You've got to knock them back hard with tone controls (levels, curves, exposure, shadows/highlights, etc) and masking. Turn your image into a similar chamber of darkness tonally and you'll find the "depth" of color will come a lot easier.

Whites are never rich in color. You've got to un-white them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching