RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do you achieve this still life look

Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 AM

How do you achieve this still life look

Hi,
this is my first "how to achieve this look" post
I like this clean minimalistic look, but I'm mostly looking for an answer on these background retouching. How to make this clean colorful backgrounds with sharp precise shadows and these lines that divide tabletop from the background wall. It probably shot on white, but what goes after that? Any helpful tutorials, blogs, retouchers.
Thanks!

http://www.christian-stoll.com/websi...imalist_stills
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Re: How do you achieve this still life look

This only cover the very first image he has on his site, the motorcycle with blue background.
The BG seems sort of illustrated, here is a link to some tutorial http://brentbat.wordpress.com/2011/1...-the-deadvlei/

I don't know anything about the rest, I am looking for answers myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 AM

That's an interesting idea to use Topaz Abstraction on the background. Thanks for that, I'll try it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 AM

to me it just looks like they are 3d renders could be wrong
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataflow View Post
Do you think the object is 3d render? Because it's not, I do similar shots, it's real picture. But, for the background, I've never thought about it, maybe it is. But, why would be a two dimensional surface without texture done like 3d render?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM

most of the pictures are retouched by Zerone.
http://www.zerone-hh.de/worksamples2.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataflow View Post
Well, then you were right. It looks like photography is loosing its ground slowly. I'm, as a photographer, deeply disappointed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
Well, then you were right. It looks like photography is loosing its ground slowly. I'm, as a photographer, deeply disappointed.
In a way, you are right, however, it is not photography that is losing ground, I think it is competition that is pushing the envelop. With the recent (past 10 years or so) development of digital and the introduction of smart phones, every one with camera is a photographer, as a result, photographers want\need to distinguish themselves from a GWC (Guy With Camera).

I might add, that photo manipulation is not new, since first day, photographers manipulated their work, we just did not see it or knew it, the "photo edit" technology advanced a lot since the mid 80s with the introduction of Version 1 of Photoshop (I could be wrong about the exact date). we just took advantage of it.

Last edited by Aladdin; 08-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 AM

Aladdin, I completely agree with you. The photo manipulation is important part of my workflow. I'm forced to learn new technologies and techniques in photo editing every day, to stay in the business. But average photographer with tight budget, like me, can't afford a retoucher, I have to do everything on my own. So learning CGI means many more hours on the computer and less making pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
Aladdin, I completely agree with you. The photo manipulation is important part of my workflow. I'm forced to learn new technologies and techniques in photo editing every day, to stay in the business. But average photographer with tight budget, like me, can't afford a retoucher, I have to do everything on my own. So learning CGI means many more hours on the computer and less making pictures.
Guess what? This is exactly what I had to do. Had to teach myself photoshop elements and various other programs. GIMP is a great free resource. Same with CGI (soon I realized that I don't really need CGI this much if I am good at say GIMP) - Yes, time is a major factor, CGI is killer, I don't have the time, as it is, the 24hr cycle is over before it starts, had to drop CGI.

Bottom line, we have to look at it from business perspective, we have to stand out and be a head of the curve using whatever means we can afford. Matter of fact, we are a bit more lucky than previous generations since all we need is software, imagine if we had to do Bleach bypass or USM in real dark room, now, this is expensive!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching