RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Knees and Hands

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM

Knees and Hands

Evening,

Currently have a HATE relationship with most models Knees...

Any thoughts on how a knee "should" look?

Same things with hands, some models hands look good most look like claws...

Happy Friday!

=)

Donne Ashlock
Photographer

www.donneashlock.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 PM

Re: Knees and Hands

Hi and welcome to the forum

In truth a picture says a thousand words...

It may also help to explain your skill level(ish) so that folks can give appropriate advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 PM

Claw hands are a common problem with amateur models. I can share one story that helped me.

I hosted a Japanese exchange student. During the year her parents came to visit. Her mother brought a kimono, so we did some studio sessions. In post processing I noticed how the daughters hands were often claws, but Mom's hands were perfect.

While reviewing pics with them I mentioned this. After much translation (Mom didn't sepak much English), I learned that Mom had spent a year in "Kimomo" training, 10 hours week. How to wear a Kimono, how to dress others in a Kimono (it takes two), how to sit, stand, kneel, walk in a Kimono.

Mom said two full sessions were spent on hands. Where they belong in each position, how they should be formed, how to hold a fan, etc. She was very proud that I had noticed the difference. She said to practice they held thin straws or reeds between thumb and fingers, very lightly.

Since then I've tried the trick a few times with girls that had claw hands, and it worked very well. I used a simple toothpick. It's impossible to claw grip a toothpick. After a minute of practice I could take the toothpick away and tell the girl to use her imagination.

Can't help with knees. Not a problem in a Kimono.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Responses Embeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum

In truth a picture says a thousand words...
Good Hands / Bad Knees (Attached Image)

It may also help to explain your skill level(ish) so that folks can give appropriate advice.
I'm a fashion + beauty photographer and about six years into my career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrown View Post
Claw hands are a common problem with amateur models. I can share one story that helped me.

I hosted a Japanese exchange student. During the year her parents came to visit. Her mother brought a kimono, so we did some studio sessions. In post processing I noticed how the daughters hands were often claws, but Mom's hands were perfect.

While reviewing pics with them I mentioned this. After much translation (Mom didn't sepak much English), I learned that Mom had spent a year in "Kimomo" training, 10 hours week. How to wear a Kimono, how to dress others in a Kimono (it takes two), how to sit, stand, kneel, walk in a Kimono.

Mom said two full sessions were spent on hands. Where they belong in each position, how they should be formed, how to hold a fan, etc. She was very proud that I had noticed the difference. She said to practice they held thin straws or reeds between thumb and fingers, very lightly.

Since then I've tried the trick a few times with girls that had claw hands, and it worked very well. I used a simple toothpick. It's impossible to claw grip a toothpick. After a minute of practice I could take the toothpick away and tell the girl to use her imagination.

Can't help with knees. Not a problem in a Kimono.
Hi Redcrown, really appreciate this illustration, I have been thinking of the issue of you have good or you have bad, not as a posing problem.
Because I work primarily with Agency models I have been Ass U Me ing that this type of thing would be covered. Alas, looks like I will need to add the hand coaching into what I do.

Now back to the original question; with knees or hands is there any examples out there of what an "ideal" is? With hair you have Tresseme/L'Oreal ads to reference. With Skin you can go complete barbie/plastic or stick to a James Houston / Russell James type of skin. Etc.

Thoughts?

My work can be found at www.donneashlock.com or www.facebook.com/donne.ashlock.photography for more skill reference.

Ciao y feliz sabado!

Donne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_6126retouchpro.jpg (51.5 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 AM

James Houston: www.houstonphoto.com/body

Russell James: http://www.studiorusselljames.com/main.html#/home/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Hi Donne,

If you're interested in how hands and knees could look after retouching, it might be a fascinating exercise to post some crops of the offending pieces of anatomy and let the retouchers here get their claws, sorry, hands on them.

Alastair

akmacretouch.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching