RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin retouching better than frequency separation

Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Skin retouching better than frequency separation

but not as hard as dodge and burn?

I have been using frequency separation to smooth skin with a surface blur on the low frequency layer. While this gives good results and leaves in texture on the high frequency layer, I was wondering if there is a an even better method without having to resort to the painstaking process of pixel level dodge and burn.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Re: Skin retouching better than frequency separati

I'm assuming you're familiar with the Inverted High Pass approach, which can speed up your workflow if used locally with discretion and good judgement.

But really D&B is the main approach and the master-skill. But it doesn't always need to be pixel-level (in fact rarely is), and it doesn't always take hours and hours. Getting your viewing size right can help you to judge what needs to be retouched and what is best left as is, which not only leads to quicker and less 'obsessive' retouching, but also renders a more natural look.

I get the impression from your post that a combination of the two techniques may be a happy medium.

Alastair

akmacretouch.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have used inverted high pass before, but I was under the impression that it was just another and slightly less accurate way to do frequency separation (as opposed to using the apply image technique). Perhaps my problem is that I am applying the surface blur on the low frequency layer to all of the skin and not selectively as you suggest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM

You can use the Apply Image technique for Inverted High Pass as well.
Frequency Separation per se simply does what the title describes - it separated the frequencies. There is no visual difference after the separation. It's what you do to the high and or low frequency layers after you have performed the separation that makes a difference. Inverted High Pass is based on a simple formula to give you a semi-automatic method of reducing unwanted 'grunge' while preserving finer texture.

Alastair

www.akmacretouch.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Compilation of various methods is the best technique I believe. As for me I prefer extensive cloning with low opacity sometimes with frequency separation to keep small details.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 AM

Can someone explain what to do on what frequency?
I know how to do the split, and had a video link that was pretty awesome, but I cant find it.

Once the high and low are split, whats next?
Do I clean up the image as far as pimples, bumps on the high, and then do the lines, and shadow on the low?

I have seen someone use the lasso tool and keep rebluring small patches of the face and legs to get them smooth and to have a softer transition on the low.. Is there a recommended technique that I can just do and tweak it as I get better doing it..

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 AM

Once you've got the separate high and low frequency layers, the following things are commonly done:
*Cloning good texture onto bad in the HF layer, using the clone tool or healing brush at 100% opacity and hardness. Make sure the source setting is for "current layer"
*Using a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment layer clipped to the HF layer to emphasise the texture in "flat" areas, by painting on the layer mask. (Use can also use this technique with a negative setting to reduce areas of overly harsh texture.
*Adding layers between the HF and LF to do:- Dodge and Burn, Local Colour Painting or Further blurring.
These are the things I do most. But a word of caution about adding a layer in between the HF and LF for the purpose of further blurring - the results can be immediately appealing, but it's usually best to underplay this technique.
Hope this helps
Alastair
www.akmacretouch.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching