RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to fix this background?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 AM

how to fix this background?

a friend asked if i could place all these photos into one. Im having a hard time making the background ( which is a billards pool table / green felt ) to blend as if it were one image.
any suggestions?
thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2144-2eee.jpg (95.5 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 AM

Re: how to fix this background?

HI! I had a go at it with curves.

1. Make a curves adj layer. For this particular photo luminocity blend worked better than normal mode

2. Tick the finger tool up in the left corner of the curves panel. Now you can click on the dark areas and drag slightly up, and click the light areas and drag slightly down. You will need a couple of anchor points for this to work (Which you make when you click on the picture after having ticket the finger tool). So be careful especially on your first couple of adjustments

3. Now I seemed to loose a little color even in luminocity mode, so I sampled the original color of the felt and made a solid color layer and set it to color mode.
Here I had to mask out the paperplates, which was easely done by using the quick selection tool. You need to have the original layer selected for this to work (I personly used a size of 29 for the quick selection tool, but this will probably work with anything from 20-40). You could go to refine edge and fine tune your selection/mask with some feather or smoothening but I really didnt find any use for it here

4. With the selection still active click the little mask symbol on the bottom of your layers panel.

5. I Also added a little noise to add back some texture to the felt.

If the texture really isnt important and you just want a smooth background you can go with the mask you made, put it on a duplicate of your background (ctrl+J) and put a solid color layer with your preffered color under the duplicate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PoolTable small.jpg (85.2 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 AM

Hi! Sorry to spam down your thread, but I posted a picture without the noise. I also see that it gets a little flat, so an idea may be to add a drop shadow to the plates.
todo this:
1.Select the plates by Ctrl-clicking your mask.
2. and then click Ctrl-shift-I to invert the selection.
3.Now activate your bacground layer.
4. click Ctrl-j. Now you will have your plates cut out on a seperate layer. Put this on top.
5. Doubleclick on this new layer (Not the thumbnail but to the right of th name)
6. You willnow see the layer efex meny. Click drop shadow on bottom left, and adjust the distance, angle and size at your liking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PoolTableNoiseShadowSmall.jpg (72.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Patron

I guessed the plates were the subject.. so a simple levels is all I did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2144-2eee-WF.jpg (198.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2144-2eee-OB.jpg (192.4 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Actually very simple..... select the background and brush in a sample of the tone in the background that you want carried out overall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2144-2eee.jpg (29.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching