RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Non-destructive workflow and double raw conversion

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Non-destructive workflow and double raw conversion

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any efficient way to have a non-destructive workflow for multiple raw conversion ?

I mean, when I make a multiple raw conversion and bring everything in PS as smart objects, it only helps me to choose the blend modes and tweak the RAW parameters in Lightroom again if needed.

My concern is that once you start really working on the image (which is now a combination of multiple RAWs), you cannot tweak anymore any of the RAW without bringing in inconsistencies between your healing layers (or D&B or whatever) in PS and the new RAW version you just made.

Yeah I know decisions must be made at some point, of course ... but I am referring to a client changing his mind about a look for example. If he does not like the look from the double raw conversion anymore, does that mean that I have to redo all my corrections ?

So, am I missing something or is it just the way it is ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Re: Non-destructive workflow and double raw conver

Saving a copy of your RAW file somewhere else on your hard disk solves all your concerns.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM

No.

This does not solve the inconsistencies between :

- the healing layers that were created from a first set of settings of the raw files
AND
- the healing layers that should be created from a new set of settings of the raw files.

I suppose it is the way it is then
:P
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Yes, once you make pixel level modifications in PS on top of a smart objects, your options for additional raw modifications are limited.

There are two ways to minimize the pain:
- Limit your raw conversion to things really done better in raw, and do everything else in PS. For example I only do white balance and basic exposure range adjustments in RAW but any curves, color, contrast, B&W, etc in PS, and usually on layers above the D&B. With that, I don't actually ever go back to the RAW parameters. I also never crop the image in RAW as I want the flexibility to crop the final output in different ways.

- If that's not an option, if the RAW changes are localized, you could put a mask on your original D&B to exclude the inconsistent area and then redo the D&B in the modified area. If you make globalized changes in RAW afterwards, things are more tricky. It depends a bit on your D&B technique - if you D&B with rasterized layers (e.g. actual D&B, or painting into a 50% gray layer w/ color), those will always reference the original pixel values and you're hosed. If you D&B with adjustment layers (e.g. mask on opposing curves layer), those are relative operations and will adjust to changes in RAW. For that reason, it's always desirable to apply as many changes in adjustment layers and avoid rasterized methods. For the same reason, any filter run on your layer stack (e.g. unsharp mask, grain, etc.) should use a smart object, as you can update the smart object from changes lower in the stack and then rerun the filter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklier View Post
Yes, once you make pixel level modifications in PS on top of a smart objects, your options for additional raw modifications are limited.

There are two ways to minimize the pain:
- Limit your raw conversion to things really done better in raw, and do everything else in PS. For example I only do white balance and basic exposure range adjustments in RAW but any curves, color, contrast, B&W, etc in PS, and usually on layers above the D&B. With that, I don't actually ever go back to the RAW parameters. I also never crop the image in RAW as I want the flexibility to crop the final output in different ways.

- If that's not an option, if the RAW changes are localized, you could put a mask on your original D&B to exclude the inconsistent area and then redo the D&B in the modified area. If you make globalized changes in RAW afterwards, things are more tricky. It depends a bit on your D&B technique - if you D&B with rasterized layers (e.g. actual D&B, or painting into a 50% gray layer w/ color), those will always reference the original pixel values and you're hosed. If you D&B with adjustment layers (e.g. mask on opposing curves layer), those are relative operations and will adjust to changes in RAW. For that reason, it's always desirable to apply as many changes in adjustment layers and avoid rasterized methods. For the same reason, any filter run on your layer stack (e.g. unsharp mask, grain, etc.) should use a smart object, as you can update the smart object from changes lower in the stack and then rerun the filter.
Thanks for your input jklier.
I understand perfectly what you are saying because it's exactly my problem.
What I use the double raw conversion the most for is :
- taking the color from one raw conversion
- taking the luminosity from another

I like the particular look I get from this, especially if you push the settings very hard. But sometimes, I work on healing, D&B and other stuff and then I notice I am not happy (or worse : my client is not happy) with the settings coming from the double raw conversion.

Hence my question ...

So the only workaround I found until now is to work roughly on the general look at first. Setting up adjustement layers and their masks I need for the look, even with very rough selections and then reviewing that with the client, tweaking as needed. Once he's happy with the direction it takes, then I do the healing, D&B, etc ...

So it looks like it will be that way then

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 AM

That seems reasonable to do. Don't spend the time on pixel level detail until the overall image is roughed in.

The other option is to see if there ways to achieve your look with other PS techniques instead of double raw conversion. As always there are infinite ways to achieve the final outcome, all with their own pros and cons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM

PS: One thing you might consider depending on your specific goal of the double raw processing - instead of the raw processing for luminosity, use a luminosity mask. It can easily be regenerated and manipulated above your D&B layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Here's were a few of Lightroom's Virtual Copies would do the job, you'd render them when you wish to combine pixels data and then work in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklier View Post
PS: One thing you might consider depending on your specific goal of the double raw processing - instead of the raw processing for luminosity, use a luminosity mask. It can easily be regenerated and manipulated above your D&B layer.

The problem with this is that I feel I have better control over the luminosity look I want to achieve by generating this layer through LR, not PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Here's were a few of Lightroom's Virtual Copies would do the job, you'd render them when you wish to combine pixels data and then work in Photoshop.
Can you detail a bit more please ?

Because I also use LR virtual copies to generate my double raw conversion but I don't see how this can help. The images coming from LR are still unretouched at all and if I modify them after having already created healing layers in PS, they won't match anymore.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching