Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouch Speed too slow?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Re: Retouch Speed too slow?

To me 60 sounds crazy if they want quality work and most of it is cutting out clothes and pasting so they can be reused. IDK maybe if that's all you did for a while you could get that kind of speed. But 9 per hour? Sheesh, can you at least smoke at your desk? Seriously though, this is probably how magazine covers go out with extra hands in photos and other stupid mistakes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM

I know people are looking to get a foot into the door, but I'd be concerned that a 60-images-per-day extraction gig is like trying to be the head chef at Noma by chopping onions at McDonalds.

To be honest, I can't mask for shit with the pen tool and couldn't do 60 per day either - but people pay me hundreds of dollars for skin.

Choose your battles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM

That could probably be done super fast with quick selection tool and refine edge, sounds like you just put way too much into it. They are looking for quantity not quality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM

The point about knowing what they're after is relevant. I do some freelance work for a place that gave me 9 images as a test, which took me 7 hrs. They liked the work but told me their concern was time, as they're other person did them in 2.5 hrs. I asked to see her images. Upon seeing them I saw all the corners she cut, and told them I felt with practice and rote I saw no reason I couldn't do the same in short order. They agreed and gave me the job. Now I can do 40-100 such images per day.

The volume may not be applicable to your situation as we outsource our paths, but the point is, if you still want the work feel free to tell them so, ask to see the kind of results they're currently getting, and then consider if you can't get up to their speed with practice. It's not about knowing the program, it's about setting up few key hotkeys/presets, etc, and then getting into a rhythm.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching