RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouch Speed too slow?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Retouch Speed too slow?

I recently got a opportunity to do a trial day in a photo studio's retouching department. I was asked to cut-out clothing items on mannequins and put them on white backgrounds. Also I was required to clean up the clothes, colour / levels adjust and paste in the insides of the garments from a separate photo to give hide where the mannequin was inside the clothes. Giving an invisible man look.

I have been using Photoshop for years and thought I was pretty fast. I know most of the key commands and rarely use the menu's. I took care to do the job well and removed each mark or hair on the clothes with the healing brush. However I only managed to do 12 items in 7 hours.

I was told that I should have been able to do 60 in this time. Does anyone know if this is reasonable?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Re: Retouch Speed too slow?

It wasn't a fair game, if you
weren't told what was expected of you.
You probably could adjust your work quality & speed accordingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up Re: Retouch Speed too slow?

Good point! I guess you can spend different amounts of time depending on whether you cut corners. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Better to work to a quality and speed up rather than do crap quickly. It also takes time to settle in and use other peoples Macs - different settings etc. I wouldn't aspire to change your level to someone who knocks out 60 a day!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Actually, that seems pretty slow to me. I think you could definitely do it faster. Perhaps you were looking too closely at details that will not be visible at the output resolution?
A lot of time these shots are going to be sized down for the web and it really isn't necessary to be a perfectionist. I was recently interviewed for a job in which I would be expected to process 800-1000 images per day--I know that sounds insane but it was a lot of batch processing and quick passes with the healing brush, no clipping paths.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 AM

Thank you for your replies. I think you are right Siciliana, I was going around every little lump and bump with the pen tool which took a long time! Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what tools / filters etc and time they would use to retouch something like this:

http://www.imageretouchingindia.com/.../2010/04/6.jpg

I would:
1. Create path with pen
2. Great background fill (white)
3. Inset 'fill' from other image to create invisible man effect using a layer mask
4. Clean up with healing brush / clone tool
5. Adjust levels
6. Save

I'd be really curious to know how you would do it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 AM

There are people on this site that are much better at extraction than me but if i were worried about speed and had that much color separation between the garment and the background I would nix the pen tool and use color selection or channels, probably color selection. If they are not asking for clipping paths I would recommend investing some time learning other selection methods that could prove faster in certain types of images. just my 2 cents. will be interested to hear others thoughts although i don't aspire to work at that pace LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM

+1 to the other selection methods. Since the background is pretty neutral, one easy way to extract this would be to create a channel mixer adj. layer, set it to monochromatic, 0% red, 100% green, 0% blue and change the blending mode to "Difference". Since the green and red channel are extremely different where the dress is concerned and almost identical in the background, the red channel will now give a pretty decent mask to build up on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM

It depends on the specific image to decide which selection method I would use. For this, I would use "color range" and sample the color of the shirt and adjust the fuzziness to where I want it. Then I create a mask from that selection. After that I will further fill in gaps in the shirt and separate the shirt from its color reflection by using the paint brush on the mask in overlay mode. A further step is to run dust and scratches filter on the mask to smooth the edges the way I want them. Depending on the item and the quality of the selection it can even be possible to convert the selection to a clipping path rather then pathing out with the pen tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM

For the record, I don't see why the people at the studio didn't just show you how they do it. It's not rocket science or a state secret, it's just photoshop. I'm sure you are plenty capable of doing it with the right method.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching