RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Smoothing wrinkles in a coat

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Smoothing wrinkles in a coat

I have a trenchcoat that has wrinkles. Fashion shot. Is there an easy way to retouch them out? thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Re: Smoothing wrinkles in a coat

without seeing it, how about healing brush?

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Nope healing wont do. Here it is:
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/1011/s...20926at837.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 PM

No easy way unless you have other shots to pull fabric from. Other wise, dodge and burn and clone are your friends.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 AM

Try a Gradient Map adjustment layer. Set the layer to Luminosity mode, then set both the left and right colors to a mid gray. With this image, 35% to 50% gray seems to work best.

If you are not familiar with Gradient Maps, do some Googling to learn. It's kind of complicated to set the colors. Have to click three times and open 2 or 3 pop-up windows to get there. Of course you need to add a layer mask to limit the adjustment to the clothing and hide the background and hair.

One Gradient Map layer will remove some of the wrinkles and leave some. Dupe the layer to remove more. Dupe it 4 or 5 times and all the wrinkles will be gone, but you will be left with an ugly solid tone. Got to leave some of the tonality in. You can paint the mask with different opacities on different areas to control how much wrinkle to remove and how much to leave in.

A Gradient Map layer in Luminosity mode is kind of a "global" dodge & burn and pretty handy in cases like this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 AM

If possible, create a clean patch of material from other areas of the garment. You'd be unlucky not to have a patch that matches both lighting and focus. You can use warp to refine the shape. Clean up the original sleeve, as best as you can and then paste your new texture layer on top. Use an airbrush with layer mask to gradually 'paint' in the good texture where required; it's case dependent so this maybe a total or partial replacement.
Take care that the new material texture weave runs in the same direction as the old!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 AM

Do a 'frequency split' and paint on the blurred 'low' layer to even out the creases. There are many threads and tutorials on the dreaded split.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

The traditional clone , heal etc makes things a mess. Red, Repair, & Mike, if you can succeed with this please PM me offline. I think the forum may be just too complex to get it.

ON a photoshop forum -- one poster, did a perfect job using selection and high pass filter scenario , but alas, I cannot recreate his success. There must be a step or something he missed explaining. If someone wants to see that thread PM me also and I'll send the link. I'm hoping someone can explain it better (hopefully offline) as well. Forums are grueling for this, but one has to start somewhere!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM

I've had a quite good experience of removing such things with "High Pass thing", when you use inverted High Pass filter to smooth the transactions between zones with different tone. I've copied inverted high pass layers couple of times to achieve very strong smoothing, and then masked the group with them to apply the smoothing only to the problem zones. Not sure if that will work here as well as it was on my image, but worth trying I think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Kinda like this - I did it in about a minute, and I'm sure with bigger resolution it's possible to get more accurate and natural result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (55.3 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching