RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help or advice from product/cosmetics retouchers

Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 AM

Help or advice from product/cosmetics retouchers

Hi everyone
Iím interested in hearing a bit of advice from professional product retouchers out there (especially in cosmetics!). I donít do enough of it to be a gun at cosmetics.
So Iíve this gig where the client and AD have got into their heads to have super busy layouts with a million products; all of them individually shot.
The idea is to merge them into a single shot and the photographers do a great job getting the light and shadows just right. Sometimes there are multiple exposures of one shot to take care of.

This is happening about twice a month.
My problem is that itís taking me about 9-12 hours to finish one of these: merging different shots for different parts of a single product, clipping paths, heal and clone everything to perfection (or as close to perfection as possible), dodge and burn, evening the shadows and colour correct (and match sometimes to product).
Iím looking for advice as to how to reduce this time of 9-12 hours; sometimes it seems like Iím overdoing and since I donít do a lot of cosmetics Ė I might just be. See below for sample.

The client loves them but itís a little pain, I might add as well that cosmetics are not my favourite thing to work on. EhÖ I might just be whingeing hereÖ
Cheers!

Eddie

http://postimage.org/image/5y8kqyyqt/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 AM

Re: Help or advice from product/cosmetics retouche

What exactly is your work flow?
Maybe producing A layer by layer screenshot showing your steps or explaining them will eliminate some less than usual ones.
Overall. As I say all the time to clients. If you want perfection, it takes time and sometimes a long time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 AM

try to design an action. yes, i said Design. Make it as best as you can. even if it takes you 6 hours to design and record a single action. Coz it won't take more than a minute (it shouldn't) on the rest of your images
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
try to design an action. yes, i said Design. Make it as best as you can. even if it takes you 6 hours to design and record a single action. Coz it won't take more than a minute (it shouldn't) on the rest of your images
I spend most of product retouching time on healing, cloning, selections, gradiants. How you mean to make an action for that kind of work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 AM

@ maestro: Sorry mate, an action is not going to help me at all (I already have a lot of them to do specific things); like pics2 says, you can't heal/clone/paint specific things through an action.

@jimheru: I was definitely having a whinge... I agree with you, I know all about putting in the time and yes, perfection takes a fair chunk of it.

It's taking me that amount of time to do an entire spread and that's probably as fast as I'll ever be able to do it whitout compromising.

I've included a layers' snapshot (fairly typical I guess), the process is dead simple - heal/clone to perfection, merge some shots together (in this layer stack is new bullets with diffrerent light/size/position) some dodge and burn, clippin path and throw up a curve for a white balance and evening of shadows.

eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (53.9 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM

But, what's the problem? Are you getting paid for two hours work?

Nine hours seems fair to me for that finished product.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching