RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Question for the pro retouchers

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Re: Question for the pro retouchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
You should always have the final output in mind when retouching, for best results. If possible you should get CMYK profiles from the printer and work toward their color space. If that is not possible still work toward CMYK, (either G7, SWOP, or whatever standard is common for your area). Sending RGB files to a printer without knowing what they will do with them is asking for less than accurate results.
Good point Shoku. And agreed about the conversion for printing, assuming you know your printer's profile and how to use it. If you do, convert by all means, but do it after the retouching part is done. Particularly if you have to do any heavy color shifts. The wider gamut gives you more information to work with. And maybe save out a copy before you convert, as there's no going back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 AM

I tend to work with what I am given by my clients which, these days, is an RGB tiff file. Because images are now used for both print and screen use it makes sense to stick with RGB and maintain all those punchy colours. As a bonus it keeps file sizes down. CMYK has the advantage of keeping the black separate which, when used as a mask, is useful for adding tone and volume. Sometimes I'll even convert a patch to CMYK, work on it and then paste it back in to the RGB file (irregular shapes only!). Every job is case dependent; if your workload is naturalistic multi-part comps where overall impact is paramount, conversion to CMYK may not be an issue. However, working with product shots where colour is part of the sales pitch (paints, carpets etc) you really want to have your CMYK head on from the get go!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM

It's a serious point.

Those that start with great source material can always say "I'm responsible for that", when they aren't. Far from it, they have been been lucky. Even tough they may be so deluded as to not recognise this. Those that start from rubbish source material will always struggle. Getting good source, shot by a professional with great light, and a great sense - is the only thing that has a value. "High end" means having access to great source, and not great retouching. When you realise that, it all becomes a lot clearer. There's a huge amount of bullshit in this industry, I work with people all the time who have little aesthetic talent, but one great asset .. luck. Sorry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
There's a huge amount of bullshit in this industry, I work with people all the time who have little aesthetic talent, but one great asset .. luck. Sorry.
Yup.

btw, if you're working in CMYK, you should confine yourself to making post cards on the cheap press in the other room, and not much else. This is the 21st century, after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Yup.

btw, if you're working in CMYK, you should confine yourself to making post cards on the cheap press in the other room, and not much else. This is the 21st century, after all.
lol - so you know I work in point-of-sale?!?!? The 'dumpbin' is an appropriately named unit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Yup.

We have two Komori presses. They cost around 2 million each. That's not cheap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM

One word: Lease. Second word: India.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi! As the OP I am still in my early learning stage of retouching. I feel confident on my skin retouching including color corrections and grading, but I still have many miles to go on hair retouching, and finally color management (meaning preparing for print). I have a couple of questions i feel fitting to this thread ( I hope the OP will excuse me for not making another thread but I think its better to have more info fitted into one thread than spread around if its within the same subject).

1: I was of the impression that if I had a monitor capable of showing Adobe RGB and my monitor was calibrated with a spyder or similar, then a modern printer would have an Adobe RGB profile for any given paper, and the print would look like my screen (lets not talk about ProRGB for now). I am obviously wrong or there wouldnt have been so much discussion, but can anyone tell me where I am wrong on this.

2: If the printer profile cant handle the out of gamut RGB colors, and you are aware of them (through gamut warnings or as someone here sugested having a CMYK preview, or whatever) what do you do with them?

3: And finaly a different kind of newbi question: During the process is it normal to provide PSD files to the client. Or is it normal to be all "secretive" about your techniques, or would that be seen as "rude" by the client?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching