Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

I hate Hair - do u have some hints for me?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I hate Hair - do u have some hints for me?

hey, first I have to say that we didnt have a make up artist. I got a crises with these hairs and i couldnt find a solution for this problem - what do you think - how can I fix this hair issue at it best and what do you think regarding my skin retouching?
cheers, nico
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Re: I hate Hair - do u have some hints for me?

Retouch the crossed strands and leave the frizziness

Skin looks good, but I may be tempted to remove the two freckles on the nose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Nice image...great start. I is tough. In my case, I have created special separate hair samples for me to use in images like this. I took closeups of hair one day on purpose and also shot hair edges with a model just for that purpose! That has been so handy in fixing up images ever since. Now I can clone and cut in the great totally straight hair whenever I need to. Using curve adjustment layers you can even change the base luminosity of the hair...and then its that you can make and match any color of hair.

You may have some other images in your photo session that you could use to clone in some hair possibly...the mouth or eyes could be bad...but the hair is good!

Your color of hair is a difficult one. Dark brown or near black hair is fairly easy to use the clone stamp tool in darken mode to get rid of those lighter flyaways...or likewise in lighten mode with much lighter hair. But your hair is right in the middle... with multiple shades of yellow. A little tougher.

It DOES take a great deal of boring and tedious time to clone away crossover flyaway hair...nobody likes how long it takes and how minute you need to be. I hope that is some encouragement to you to maybe start over and be really patient.

In the eyes....I would love to see some lightening curves put inside the eye sockets to lighten them up just a bit...and especially an overlay layer to lighten up the eye irises just a bit. The eye sockets and irises are darker than the rest of the image and they receed quite a bit. Just do a curves adjustment layer and pull up the center of the curve a bit to get the lightening you need....invert the mask to black...and then paint in the lightening with a low opacity white brush where ever you want lightening

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Ray's right about the eyes. The irises are wide open therefore there's not much colour in them. That's where modelling lights come in. If your flash doesn't have modelling lights then you need to either bring up the ambient light or put a continuous light on the eyes. Not enough to really affect exposure or colour balance, but enough to close down the eyes a bit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching