Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to make his effect

Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 AM
How to make his effect

How can you have such sharpness and deep and vivid colors?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Re: How to make his effect

f11 and be there Plus an eye for a dramatic landscape and control in pp colour saturation etc. Possibly some images HDR. Some very nice images there
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM

It's a simple process called putting an enormous amount of time in to be at the right places at the right time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM

One of the most important elements in any photograph is the drama factor (or the lack of it sometime) - of course, there is composition, pay attention to details, etc, etc. unfortunately , when most of us look at a photograph like the one you linked to, we all tend to overlook those basic elements.

This is no a lecture, but this is how you create outstanding work, study every and each photograph that you like, see or find what is in it! what makes it stand out. @soia1138 summarized rather nicely, you need to put an effort into the process.

All this is done before you even take your camera out the of the bag!

As far as deep saturated colors, there are many ways to do it in Photoshop, from taken the colors to LAP to converting a copy to B&W and setting its mode to Softlight on top of the original.

As far as sharping, again, there are many ways to do it, however, the color treatment in this photograph contributes a lot to the perceived effect of sharpness due to contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Always, always shoot landscapes on a tripod. As Joel Grimes says, a solid tripod will allow a cheaper lens to outperform a pro level lens that is handheld. Of course, a pro level lens (eg Canon whites) on a solid tripod is best of all. Slow shutter speeds will blur moving objects, such as water and clouds. How much? Experiment. A small aperture (f16 or less on a full-frame) and learn what hyperfocal means. Learn about exposure and how to set it (don't ever rely on Auto or Program modes in your camera, especially if you're shoot in high-glare conditions or at evening/night. A spot meter is best in such conditions, but only if you know how to use it and how to choose the correct aperture/ speed from the readings it gives you. In other words, learn photography and use photoshop to bring out the most in your captures. But get the captures right first.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM

I can't believe nobody has said the obvious: the deep saturated colours and punchy skies are because a polarising filter was used. You guys should stop looking at pores and get outside! :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM

they are all photoshop compositing images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Some of the images benefited from the use of a polarizer for sure. The tell-tale fall-off from one side to the other demonstrates that. On others, though, the dark even skies are more likely created in post. Of course, as in the old days of shooting trannies, careful underexposure will deepen saturation. I'd suggest a variety of techniques are used here, photographic and photoshopic (is that a word? If not, should be).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM

Hi Luck5. A good first post - I hope this, my first post, also, will be as good.

I see a debate going-on about experience / composition / photographic craftsmanship / post-shoot software processing. Well, all of the above are probably right - these images almost certainly take all of those and more.

My advice would be to save money where you can now to buy some of the best equipment you can afford (which is not necessarily THE most expensive - read reviews carefully). But without a good lens on a good camera, few people's photography would be spectacular - though it is amazing what some people can do with great skill and poor equipment. Filters, timers, lights etc are all great - and very probably essential to the sort of images you linked to. However, always start with the lens and camera - without excellence there, nowt works well.

Experience cannot be bought, save with time and effort. Go out there, try different things, make mistakes. I do all the time. I shot 39 images t'other day of a kite-flyer and was delighted when three turned-out to be viable - by which I mean the standard to which I aspire (all were sharp, visible photographs) - aim high! (especially when photographing kites... sorry!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:04 PM

Ingibergsson's photos are certainly fine work and worth studying. Googling his name leads to a long list of sources, but I could not find any source that discusses or deconstructs his style. So, I'll add my attempt with focus on the OPs questions: Sharpness and color.

First, consider that "sharpness" comes in two forms. One is traditional sharpening as found in adjustments of that name in Photoshop, Lightroom, cameras, and other tools. That kind of sharpening is all about increasing the contrast of fine edges while avoiding halos. Many methods exist to do that, and Ingibergsson definitely sharpens his photos heavily with this technique. Sometimes I think he oversharpens, like the the eagle head image.

But what makes his images stand out is the other form of sharpness, and that is contrast. The higher the contrast of the image, the "sharper" it looks. Contrast itself comes in two forms: global and local. Ingibergsson uses both. Most of his images have a full dynamic range, with tones across the entire range from black to white. That's global contrast, achieved by using Levels or Curves to separate the tones to the max.

Local contrast enhancement adds more drama (and perceived sharpness), but is more difficult to achieve. The various techniques to do local contrast adjustments can be thought of under the general heading of "tonemapping". Tonemapping is usually thought of as part of HDR processing, and most of Ingibergsson's images certainly look like multiple bracketed HDR images. But tonemapping can be done to single images as well.

Lot's of ways to do that. Most HDR programs will tonemap a single image. Using luminosity masks with a regular Curves or Levels adjustment can do that. Applying a Photoshop USM filter with a high radius and low amount can do that. Some plugins like Topaz Ajdust and Topaz Detail can do that. The German photographer Calvin Hollywood has shown a Photoshop technique he calls "Freaky Details" than can produce another interesting version of tonemapping. The list goes on.

As for color, using a polarizer can certainly enhance color saturation. But with modern digital image processing, the only advantage of a polarizer is in removing reflections from water and other shiny surfaces. The color "enhancement" of a polarizer can easily be achieved with color adjustments in Photoshop or Lightroom. In fact, a polarizer can have a disadvantage, as one reply mentioned. It often creates a tell tale "fall off" on tones in a blue sky, and evening out those tones in post-processing can be very difficult.

Ingibergsson has used "saturation" adjustments to increase saturation to the max. In fact, for a few of his images I tested, the color saturation is way beyond a normal "printable" gamut. The red sky of the "Ice & Fire" image is an example. He has oversaturated the image.

I doubt he uses a simple and global Hue/Sat adjustment. There are more advanced techniques to increase saturation, and the use of saturation masks with the different techniques can give far better results.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching