RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best way to change shirt color?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 AM

Re: Best way to change shirt color?

Hi Ken, here is a screenshot of how I did the color range. The left eyedropper makes the initial selection and then you click around with the plus eyedropper to add to the selection. I start with fuzziness on 1 and then when I'm done selecting I add fuzziness to get where I need to be. After you select with color range switch to the lasso tool, hold the alt key down and circle the parts you don't need (the bit of hair upper right for instance) to remove them from the selection. Should just take you a minute or two for the whole process. If you need to you can refine the selection with the refine edge command. I used hue saturation with the colorize box checked to change the color.

Here is a tutorial on the gradient map method Edgework suggests.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=132
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (92.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (89.1 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Thanks Crazy, nice. Do you find color you get from hue/sat method are a bit florescent or muted? They are good, they just have their own twist. right? And for edges, what is your technique, or does it come out naturally looking generally. I'll take a peek at gradient map, do you use that method?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM

That's one way to use Gradient maps, but that's not what I was talking about. You can sculpt the entire new color range, either by sampling a piece you need to match, or by starting with the base color and adding shadow and highlight tones to your gradient. The beauty is that the new colors totally overwrite the underlying tones, while keeping the greyscale relationships, unlike colorizing, which retains the original values. This way you can translate the detail into an entirely different color range.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Here are some quick samples. Each gradient needs to be customized to the color range you're working with, and there's no rule that say's you can't add additional curves or other adjustments on top, but I find nothing gets me in the ballpark as easily or effectivley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (78.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg red.jpg (97.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg aqua.jpg (96.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg olive.jpg (97.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg yellow.jpg (91.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 02:38 PM

thanks Edge, that's way over my head and I'm sure several hours of learning curve. Is that the best link you have? I'll bookmark it....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM

I didn't provide a link. You'll get the hang of it easily enough if you try it yourself.

Create a mask for the item to be changed and apply this mask to a new gradient map adjustment layer.

In the adjustment window you'll see the default gradient (probably black to white or whatever was used last time.) Double click it to open the editor window. Click on the gradient to add new sliders, and click on the color box at the bottom to choose your color. Try it. Add a color in the middle of your gradient and see what it does to the image. Slide the color right or left to see what happens. Option click the slider and drag it to duplicate it. As color move away from your base color, lighter or darker, they'll need to become less saturated. Play around. It's not as difficult as you think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Ah, Edge, thanks, that helps a lot. Taking notes... Why do you like this more than other methods? Normal fill, Hue sat etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 PM

It's accurate.

Curves, hue/sat... there's guesswork. With curves, you can nail, say, the midtones with the numbers, but you still have to get the highlights and shadows right. Luminosity selections, trying to attack different value ranges gets clumsy beyond control. Gradient maps are dead on. You choose the colors for the entire range, and you customize how each fits the detail profile. It's the most powerful color tool no one uses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM

great post edge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM

Edgework, OK I think I understand (there I go thinking again). You are talking about using gradient maps to apply a color change, not to make the selection. Right? If not maybe you would post a screenshot of your history panel with your work on one of the shirts?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching