RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best way to change shirt color?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 PM

Re: Best way to change shirt color?

The work flow is blindingly simple. You make a gradient. But you don't do it with the gradient tool, you create a Gradient Map adjustment layer, which is second from the bottom, just above Selective Color in the drop down adjustment menu on the layer palette. The trick is understanding how the gradient is applied. Hue, value and saturation in the underlying layer are completely overwritten. The original greyscale profile is retained only as a set of categories.

Imagine that your gradient is built in 255 steps (like the old Illustrator blend tool), one step for each of the 255 greyscale values in an 8-bit image. Whatever color appears at a certain value is mapped onto the image at that point. Your image might have a shadow value of 6 at its darkest point, but whatever color appears at that spot in your gradient will become the new darkest shade. That's how you retain the detail of the original, but translate it into a darker or lighter range of colors.

If you need to match a shirt to another image, you would simply create your gradient by sampling a range of tones from the source. You will then slide each color left or right to find the right fit for the existing detail. You'll need to create additional sliders by option-clicking one and dragging it, then setting the new tone to blend into the overall gradient. I use the default hue window in Photoshop's color picker so all I adjust with these new sliders is lighter / darker, and more or less saturated.

If you need a shirt or some other object to match a specific color, say a corporate logo's PMS color, start with that somewhere in the middle of your gradient. If you need to have full black and/or full white in the final, leave your end sliders for those, but if not, spin new ones off from the target color. Just remember that as tones get darker or lighter, they generally become less and less saturated. That's how I made the samples on the previous page. I arbitrarily chose some colors at random, then added a light slider to the right and a dark one to the left, until I had the highlight and shadows looking realistic. Then I filled in the gaps to capture the detail. It's trial and error, mostly, but if you understand what's taking place, it's fast and simple.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Patron

edgework, I like your examples of using gradient mask but respectfully disagree with your assertion that its the most powerful colour tool. There are many ways to do this and we all have preferences based on experience both good and bad which lead us to certain preferences in working.

Image content combined with personal experience will dictate which tools to use and in this case I would prefer to work in Lab colour as I have found that using a gradient mask can have a tendency to cover up the underlying texture and luminosity more than Lab.

In the case that a client can actually specify a PMS color then the choice of control point in Lab is important but once that is established all the underlying luminosity information should fall correctly and match how the differently coloured object would look in that particular lighting condition.

I am sure that there are pros and cons associated with using one method over another and as long as the end result gets you to where you need to be and keep the client happy all is well
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM

I'm a big fan of lab for color work, particularly coupled with Blend/If sliders. Lab is a marvel, but not always intuitive. Perhaps "powerful" was too broad a stroke. But for both accuracy, and ease of use, I'll cast my vote as already recorded. As for luminosity, that will vary as the colors vary. Luminosity values for a pale blue shirt will be different than for one that's dark maroon. When you choose your gradient colors correctly, luminosity tends to take care of itself.

If what you're advocating is "To each their own," one would be pretty thick and stupid to disagree with that. There are always many avenues to take in Photoshop and what works comfortably, while getting the result is, by definition the correct path.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Patron

I think it was the word 'powerful' that I questioned. I honestly find the accuracy and speed of this type of move most of the time gives better result (for me at least) but was not doubting for one minute the value of your preferred method. And yes I think I was advocating to each their own
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2012, 02:30 AM

Edgework "The work flow is blindingly simple." I believe you may have overstated the simplicity of this method. OMG, talk about minutes to learn, years to master. I just spent like 2 hours changing a shirt to white. What I ended up with was a nice white shirt with a satin sheen. Looks nice. I also have like a TRILLION color stops on my gradient. LOL. However, I do see why you say it's so powerful. It is probably the best way to do intricate or precise color changes. I appreciate your sharing this method. btw I'd love to see a tutorial on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM

There are several ways to use Gradient maps. One is when you are matching the color of one product to an existing image of a different product. (A dress matched to a coat, etc). This is fairly straightforward, in that you simply sample from the source image and apply to the target.

Another is when you are given a specific color (like a PMS tone from a corporate logo.) In that case, you only have one color that is certain; the highlights and shadows have to be intuited.

Neither one should call for quite as many steps as you suggest. I'll see if I can do a tutorial.

By the way, it's a good idea to collect a series of gradients based on skin tones. Blending them into existing skin can help balance hue shifts and odd shadows. 30% - 40% can give good results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM

I understand it's got to be much easier to go to a color. My issue was going from a dark brown shirt to a believable white shirt. I got to white easy enough, the difficult part was making it realistic. Opacity and fill just dulled and muddied it. That's how I ended up with so many points, I picked a gradient (forget which set) that already had a lot. It looked much better but shiny on one side. Took foreeeever to get rid of the shiny and when I finally did I had posterization which is where I stopped because it was 4am and I couldn't see anymore. That would be awesome if you could do a tutorial.

BTW, I work in 16 bit so I must have done something pretty spectacular to cause posterization.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 PM

Not sure what you're doing. Sounds like you're really overthinking this. Here's the shirt I used earlier. Not fully white because it comes with texture. 6 points. Since the target color is white, it's really about managing the shadow detail. The white point gets slid left until it matches the lightest part of the original. Then you simply add points to control the progression to the darkest shadow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whiteShirt.jpg (94.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM

OK, I'll go back to it and try it like that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM

gotta clip it out to make a perfectly accurate selection, that way you can avoid the buttons and collar if they are there. I personally use LAB and move the colors around there, do probably a few dozen of these a week and this method is fail safe.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching