RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How keep original crop, CS5

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 PM

How keep original crop, CS5

Is CS5, how can one do a crop but keep the original crop there without have to dupe the file. thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 AM

Re: How keep original crop, CS5

Hi Ken, I think I speak for everyone here when I say...Huh? No seriously, could you rephrase the question?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 AM

Hi Ken, it sounds like maybe you are looking for what I believe is available in CS6. Where you can crop but the pixels that are cropped out are not discarded, you can, within the same psd file, get back to the original pic at any time. If that is what you are hoping to do I'm not aware of being able to do that in CS5. Not sure if that helps, if not maybe give more detail or an example as requested by crazyfly1.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Patron

Not exactly sure if this is what you are looking for but in CS5

I think that this will only work if your image is not a Background layer so you will have to convert it first to a normal layer

Use the Crop tool to select the area of interest and make sure the Hide button is selected at the top menu. This will preserve your original image data and size but not actually delete pixels.

Should you need to get back to your original uncropped image goto Image/Reveal All - this will work even after saving a cropped image. Try out on a duplicated image first though
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM

Sorry crazy. Dweek, and Tony got it.
Ok, I got it. What real annoying is they don't keep it all in the option bar. You start in the option bar, then go to the menu item.
Still, got stuck after reveal. How do you then go back to the crop after you revealed the original.
Very convoluted. What I trying to do is a simple way to not have to duplicate the original file and have 2 files: original version, and new cropped version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM

That's interesting Tony, I didn't realize that. Wonder what the difference is in cs6, guess i'll find out when i upgrade this w/e.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken44 View Post
...Still, got stuck after reveal. How do you then go back to the crop after you revealed the original.
Very convoluted. What I trying to do is a simple way to not have to duplicate the original file and have 2 files: original version, and new cropped version.
To get back to the crop after reveal the only way I know of is to either step back Ctrl+Z or via History panel. BTW you can only do this revert on a saved psd file not jpg - it may also work with a layered Tiff but have not tried it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching