RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Let's analyze/compare Vogue level fashion ed's

Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Newbie Re: Let's analyze/compare Vogue level fashion ed's

I have another sort of a problem. I don't have the time or strength to explore my retouching on and on, and I can't deliver images that would please my eye as I only have limited experinece + I work crazy hours(I just delivered 24 images in 3 days).

So, I sure could use a retoucher, but I can't afford one, as I am earning next to nothing. And those I could afford would do worse job than I am doing( I mean noone will DnB, not even the face in a full body shot for 1$).

I think I'll go crazy over here.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Let's analyze/compare Vogue level fashion ed's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
As far as styles, well, please, just look and see. Nobody is going to tell you how it's done. Sometimes I think that this forum is populated by a bunch of blind people, with their "How do I get this look" thing. Sheesh.
Right on! Was starting to think I was the only one who thinks about it this way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot4Shot View Post
Nah.....no wrong reason to love this forum.

I've been playing around with trying to get that common high fashion desaturated look....it seems that bringing the image over to LAB and reducing the colors in the A and B give a more flattering result. Does anyone know if this is more a more commonplace approach? Or does it vary too much image to image?
You'll have a great deal of control over desaturation using a channel mixer adjustment layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Just like you we all are trying our best to break into the industry. As long as retouching goes i strongly believe that just trying is the best option. Play around with it and learn what you can. Im eighteen and i started using photoshop when i was fifteen years old. As far as i know I still am considered a nobody. I do not know much about it and I have worked on images and taken them since 15. Also be it Scott Kelby or Lynda I believe they all have to offer a lot, good and bad so learn everything; the good, the bad, and the ugly so you know what to do and what not to do.

As well as if you need a retoucher for free I am willing to do it. I somewhat have experience in photography and retouching photographs. What level you may ask and the answer is I do not know...atleast yet. I can show you what I am capable of doing, the decision is yours and i think working on images will make me better than any DVD by any instructor, Kelby, Lynda whom ever.

http://nowitstitled.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Wow, you'd think this was a witch hunt - I'm not asking for your newborns. And nothing in my post implied me being a lazy/blind photographer with crappy or cheap work. There's nothing wrong with asking how to achieve a look. I'm just here to learn, and write a legitimate post to discuss relevant techniques and current trends and get flamed for it? This is generally a very helpful forum with people that care to help...didn't see that coming. It's all good though, thanks for those who are advising. Thank you KamKreates, I'm going to take a look at your port.

All this heat though does seem to lend itself to the idea that there are closely guarded secrets in the editing world, and people that get very sensitive when asked about them. My teachers used to go on mini rants about how secretive photography has become. A few of the older ones used to shoot with Penn and Avedon and say how years ago people would get together, discuss and share ideas but today everyone is sealed and closely guarded.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM

"All this heat though does seem to lend itself to the idea that there are closely guarded secrets in the editing world"

I think the heat is unwarranted. If you don't want to help then don't respond. However, consider a retoucher asking a professional photographer an easy way to instantly become a high end fashion photographer. Like photography, retouching is both an art and science that takes skill, talent, and a lot of practice. Someone used a cooking analogy. You might say that you can't be a world class chef by following a cookbook.

These DVDs are the closest I have seen to explaining "insider secrets," but there are still no shortcuts.

http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...retouching-dvd
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot4Shot View Post
My teachers used to go on mini rants about how secretive photography has become.
Listen, don't get spooked by teachers. It's just a job to most of them. Do you still live by whatever your high school teachers taught you? Can you name one? They're just hand holders. "Photography" has never been easier to learn. Click a shutter, and, poof, full blown image with zero processing time. Don't like it? Zap it to pixel heaven, try again. Like it? Bam, make it medium raw in Lightroom, finish in Photoshop. No darkroom, no chemicals, no water, no paper unless you want to print. Easy.
Don't try to copy looks, because most hip art directors or buyers are always looking for the next look. They're bored. You'll be too, if you're always playing catch up, and paying teachers to hold your hand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
... However, consider a retoucher asking a professional photographer an easy way to instantly become a high end fashion photographer. Like photography, retouching is both an art and science that takes skill, talent, and a lot of practice. ...
Interesting point worth a second thought.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
"All this heat though does seem to lend itself to the idea that there are closely guarded secrets in the editing world"

I think the heat is unwarranted. If you don't want to help then don't respond. However, consider a retoucher asking a professional photographer an easy way to instantly become a high end fashion photographer. Like photography, retouching is both an art and science that takes skill, talent, and a lot of practice. Someone used a cooking analogy. You might say that you can't be a world class chef by following a cookbook.

These DVDs are the closest I have seen to explaining "insider secrets," but there are still no shortcuts.

http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...retouching-dvd
I understand and respect that, and I never asked for shortcuts, I know there's no instant soup here and I said it before...I AM willing to put in the time. I'm just trying to learn to walk before I can run here, and learning todays trends would help me greatly. I have a good knowledge of photoshop, I'm just unsure of what is most commonly used where and how (hair aside...I hate hair....don't talk to me about hair!). Lol. It's people like Godmother(Natalie) that make this forum great...where it feels like many don't like to share, she goes out of her way to help.

I'm afraid this thread may have already been eaten by the sharks, but getting back to the purpose....since I feel half mentally challenged for not being able to post my examples, here are some links. One or 2 are a bit more contrasty (Interview is probably a bad example....they have a completely diff aesthetic than Vogue for example), but overall these all share a similar overall aesthetic which is what I'm trying to figure out (their skin tones for example). I tried to keep them simple to isolate just the technique going on...without criticizing, name calling or getting off topic, would anyone care to share and have a dialogue? If you feel the dying urge to go on a rant, please call your significant other. Again, I'm just trying to isolate those common techniques that are used to makeup the style/editing trends of today. No shortcuts!.....I'm not looking for shortcuts.

http://www.fashiontography.net/2012/...o-testino.html

http://www.thetodayexperience.com/21...ril-interview/

http://beforeyoukillusall.blogspot.c...zine-feat.html

http://www.fordmodelsblog.com/wp-con...RELJIN-650.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 AM

I for one believe Shot4Shot is sincere about his desire to learn and discuss - and appreciates the value of hard work etc.
The topic/question is presented in a well-thought out manner (possibly misguided to think there is one look in Vogue for example). If you ask me, it's much more interesting and valid than the 'how do I get skin tones like ________?' threads littering the forum. And yet they get answered.

So, step up and answer if you have something valuable.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching