RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Photoshop to Lightroom transition...

Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Photoshop to Lightroom transition...

Hi all.
I'm looking for a Lightroom equivalent to Photoshop's "soft light" layer blend mode. I've been doing a simple procedure CS3 for a look I like and I just got LR4. I would like to try to use LR4 for the post on a bulk set of portraits (about 100) I took at a party.

Here's what I've been doing in CS3. Which, btw, I now have upgraded to CS6 as well.
Once any other adjustments are done, I usually finish with a snapshot of the image. Then I convert the portrait to black and white with the green filter. Then I set that b/w layer' blend mode to soft light and lower the opacity to 50%.

Does anyone know of a LR equivalent to this? Is there some kind of bulk processing script or process in either LR4 or CS6 that would allow me to apply the look to all 100 portraits without having to get into each one separately?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 AM

Re: Photoshop to Lightroom transition...

Softlight blending mode slightly darkens the darks and lightens the highlights.

So have you tried selecting 'medium contrast' in the point curve?

or

have you tried lightening the highlights and darkening the shadows ever so slightly with the tone sliders?

HTH - Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Patron

Without seeing your starting and ending image points I agree with Nancy it may be possible to accomplish this in LR using the provided tools. It sounds like you may also need to reduce saturation a little (as well as curves and shadows highlights) to get the effect.

Once you have done this with one of your sequence of images then you can select all the others in LR and click on the Sync button which will throw up a dialogue box to allow you to choose which settings to apply to the other images.

LR offers no native support for layers but there is at least one third party provider that has a plug in onOne Here
Although this should work to allow you to use your blending layers I am not sure if the Sync button in LR will work with the other images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Layers and layer blending is Photoshop territory, do it there after you've finished as much work in Develop as it's time to move onto Photoshop. And the plug-in does nothing you wouldn't do in Photoshop (unless you didn't own PS).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 AM

I can't explain what softlight seems to do, but it appears to be more than simply brighten highs and darken the lows. It changes the color ever so slightly (it looks to be slightly grittier) and gives the pic a more cinematic type of look. It's fairly subtle compared to what I usually do, but in any event, the amount of effect I'm looking for is what is in this pic. Pic as is on left, pic with b/w layer above it on softlight at 50% on right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/helion_adrift/8140707741/

While we're at it. On another forum site I used to add a link, to the pic, in the text of my post and it would show the pic in the body of the post. Is that possible here? I don't see the picture/mountain icon I used on the other site. so please forgive me for having to follow a link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 AM
Patron

Looking at the before and after images I can see no reason why this cannot be accomplished in LR alone using the provided tools e.g. Highlights, Shadows, Blacks, White, Clarity etc. For gritty have a play with sharpening sliders.

If you want to post attachements scroll down to Additional Options and click on Attach files Manage attachments button and you can upload a file up to 100 KB which is usually sufficient
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 AM

HAPA John, my understanding is that soft light makes anything below 50% grey darker and above 50% grey lighter. It uses the top layer to make the decision. So you change the luminosity of certain color ranges with the green channel black white adjustment. PS looks at the top layer and anything below 50% grey that is darker compared to your snapshot gets darker still.
With that in mind maybe you can come up with something you're happy with in LR and then make it a preset.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM

The Soft Light blend mode is kind of a wierd beast. If you are really interested, Google "Photoshop blend mode math" for some intimidating details of the math formulas involved.

Years ago I remember a forum discussion where some gurus discussed how to emulate the various blend modes with combinations of adjustment layers, mostly Curves adjustments. The math of most blend modes is straight forward and easy to emulate. Soft Light is not. However, you can come very close with a Curves adjustment. It's a basic s-curve.

Build an s-curve adjustment (in Photoshop or ACR/LR) with 6 points having the following values:

Input Value/Output Value

243/248
200/215
160/171
123/121
84/65
52/28

These curve values were determined using a Macbeth Colorchecker image. The colorchecker image was duped as a new layer and put in Soft Light Mode. Then the values of the 6 gray scale squares were read. A curves adjustment layer was built, driving the original values of the 6 grayscale squares to the new "Soft Light" values. Those are the values shown above. If two versions of the colorchecker image are made, one via Soft Light and one with this Curves adjustment, and placed in "difference" mode, there is virtually no difference.

Plotting more points will yield more accuracy, and any good grayscale step wedge image could be used. But these 6 points will be quite practical 90% of the time. Accuracy will drop off as color saturation of the image increases, and approaches or exceeds the gamut of the colorspace used. That's because the math inside blend modes has a luminosity component and a color component.

Unfortunately, in ACR or Lightroom, you can only have one Curves adjustment and you can't lower it's opacity. So developing a Curves adjustment to emulate your method of using a "green filter" based B&W image at 50% opacity would take a little work.

Grab any good grayscale step wedge image (or download a colorchecker image). Make a dupe layer, do your B&W conversion, put in Soft Light mode, and set the desired opacity. Then measure the resulting values and plot a Curve with the original "inputs" and the B&W/Softlight/50% outputs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info, peeps. "Dammit, Jim. I'm a photographer, not a retoucher!" That's how I feel right now reading about curves and color checkers. Someday I'll have time to look into the technical stuff since it does interest me. For now, since the change is so subtle I'll settle for a contrast boost and move on. I've got to get this job through post and delivered.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching