RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

AMAZING feature using Oloneo

Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 AM

AMAZING feature using Oloneo

There is a feature in Oloneo called relight. It enables blending several exposures of the same scene with different light sources to control the light intensity and color.

The process is described here in this video and the sample pictures are available with the trail version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKms...feature=relmfu

It's a pretty awesome tool, but I was wondering can this be done in photoshop manually? The closest thing I can think of is the difference blend mode in photoshop but that excludes everything from both images and keeps the difference. Is there a blend mode that will keep the original image and add the difference only from the other image?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Patron

Re: AMAZING feature using Oloneo

In my opinion you would not be able to achieve anything even close using blend modes in PS. The Relight modules uses complex non linear algorithms as opposed to the fixed formulas of blend modes. The control sliders in Relight perform some complex blending of pixels of the various source images and they do not work like opacity adjustments in PS.
You might be able to right a complex script in PS to try to achieve the effects but it would be less effort to just purchase the s/w. The product was released more than 1 year and appears to be stable and bug free.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM

I tried Oloneo when it was in beta. I liked the HDR processing (as far as HDR goes - I'm rather over it now) and I tried the relight feature. But to be honest, shooting different frames with lights turned on an off and at bracketed exposures was a PITA. Why not just get the lighting balance right in the first place?

I guess in the example they use where they just have two environmental light sources over which they have no control it would be useful but really, you couldn't do this with separate exposures on different layers, adjusting opacity and layer masking? Or, of course, adding light or subtracting light where needed (eg flash or ND film?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Patron

You're right, but there are times when you just don't have the right conditions, don't have the right lighting, don't have enough time or you just miscalculate something. In those times, a product like this could be a lifesaver.

I plan to try Oloneo on an image I shot years ago and so far never could get satisfactory results in Photoshop. Hopefully the complex algorithms Murray describes will save the day for me

Abdul,
Many thanks for starting this thread!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
You might be able to right a complex script in PS to try to achieve the effects but it would be less effort to just purchase the s/w. The product was released more than 1 year and appears to be stable and bug free.
Cheers, Murray
I am achieving pretty much the same end results using layers and manual blend masks. I was inspired by the software, however, to seek a different more effective approach to achieving the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko60 View Post

I guess in the example they use where they just have two environmental light sources over which they have no control it would be useful but really, you couldn't do this with separate exposures on different layers, adjusting opacity and layer masking?
if the different light sources are all on one layer you can blend easily and attach adjustments to the layer to achieve the same effect of the color wheel in Oloneo. The challenge is when you have more than one layer to deal with. This is where you have to use masks and masks = lots of time usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post

Abdul,
Many thanks for starting this thread!
you are very welcome!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Patron

Hi Abdul,

I downloaded the software but I couldn't get too far with the image I tried it on Maybe I'll upload it here and have the experts see what they can do
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Here's a tutorial a guy posted on another board about doing this in Ps.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1229993
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Robert, you can't do it on one shot (if you could, I'd buy it tomorrow). You need to shoot different frames with different lights turned on and off, and then combine them in Oloneo Relight. It's kind of like HDR expect for bracketing the frames, you turn the light sources on and off. Like I said, I found it a PITA.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Patron

Frank,

Thanks. That explains a lot. And saves me some money. There's no free lunch, it seems.....

Scatter,
Thanks to you as well!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 AM

Question Re: AMAZING feature using Oloneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
In my opinion you would not be able to achieve anything even close using blend modes in PS. The Relight modules uses complex non linear algorithms as opposed to the fixed formulas of blend modes. The control sliders in Relight perform some complex blending of pixels of the various source images and they do not work like opacity adjustments in PS.
Cheers, Murray
may i know what is the Relight modules?
thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching