RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this "poetic" look ?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM

How to get this "poetic" look ?

I see 500px is full of these:

http://www.petrovajulian.com/photos-series/anastasia/
http://500px.com/photo/881151

thanks
Nextgen
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Re: How to get this "poetic" look ?

Here are before and after. I will Looooove to know how this is done

http://www.petrovajulian.com/teacher-photoshop/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM

It's always fun and helpful to get before and after versions of images. Makes deconstruction of technique so much easier. I played with a couple of these and here's what I see. Modifications are made in 4 different distinct forms.

1. Tonal adjustments. Careful "dodging and burning", either with Levels, Curves, or 50% gray D&B layers, but then applied locally via masks. No global adjustments can achive these transformations. I'd expect there are many tone adjustment layers used, each with a hand painted mask. In some areas, contrast is increased, like in the white dresses. In other areas contrast is decreased, like in the far background tree leaves.

2. Color grading. Colors are changed all over the place, but again, with separate adjustments in local areas. So probably many color adjustment layers with hand painted masks. There are several tools for adjusting colors, but I'd guess this artist uses Curves.

In general, yellow is added to whites, red or magenta added to some parts of the backgrounds, blue or cyan added in other areas. Skin tones are colored and toned completely separately from other areas. No global adjustments or plugins can do this. At first I thought automatically generated luminosity masks were being used to separate shadows, midtones, and highlights for colorizing each differently. But that's clearly not the case. Tones of equal value (shadows for example) are receiving quite different colors.

3. Bluring or fogging. Some areas of the background are "muted" from the original. Lowering contrast does some of that, but a little bluring is probably also used to de-emphasize the background.

4. Liquifying and Warping. In most images, the models faces and bodies have been slimed down.

While these techniques can be learned by anyone, the judgement of where and how to apply them is the definition of creativity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Actually, all that redcrown said was right, but there is a really simple way to get the effect.

After you've done basic skin smoothing, removing all the things you dislike, and cloning healing DNB...

First, sample all the colors you like for certain areas on one of her, or whichever other iamge you like, and just make a new layer, set the blending mode to color and paint in areas one by one using the appropriate opacity(not 100 percent as you'll loose the transitions, and transitions are the key, so use a small brush).

Then you've got to do some split-toning by eye (go to curves and paly on individual channels by dragging both roots, and lower/upper half in opposite directions ,but not to drastically). Also, you may want to pull the root of the general curve up and to the left, as it will give that "fog" effect.

Also, make separate curves, for some areas, and mask them out as you feel appropriate, like the red crown said. It could be a contrast curve or any other kind really, perhaps "flatten" curve.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT.

WHAT I WROTE is a general effect, but she also does a lot small adjustments, and DNBs carefully, and also shades her model well using DNB. You really have to be good at those things to get something as good as her. It's not just a splash of color here and there, fiddle with curves and you're done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM

Wanted to take her class but i think she only speaks russian.

they look like paintings.
aside from the HDRish look on the backgrounds what other major factors that makes this look so painterly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2012, 03:27 AM

+1 for redcrowns post....also you could try florabella colorplay actions, besides the masking, adjustments and colorgrading some of the settings resemble the images of Petrova
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM

You could also employ a color gradient with a color palette sampled from classic paintings and photographs, depending upon the source material and the mood you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 AM

thanks Luke. ill to research more on that method.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM

Interestingly, if you read the translation on the training page, it references "the name of the plugin that I use." I can't tell whether the photographer is saying that you'll need to buy a particular plugin to use during the training, or if the word "plugin" is just a strange translation that just relates to the wire transfer for payment. The Google Russian-to-English translator doesn't always work very well.

Quote:
7. If the connection was successful, I am sending you the information as soon as possible to pay the occupation and the name of the plugin that I use.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching