RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Interview with Nick Saglimbeni

Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Patron

Re: Interview with Nick Saglimbeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by quim View Post
Benny knows what he talks about
I know. Benny is awesome. I always learn a lot from his posts and he's also a great guy personally from the interactions I've been privileged to have with him here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Robert..you have several of the good DVD's ...tell me what you've learned (PLEASE) from Nick's DVD's that is worth $100. Did you really learn the "top industry secrets". I've bought many DVD's as well...I hate wasting money When Nick first entered the scene he was thinking about charging $500 for this sent then he finally settled around $300...with some really nice packaging. $300 ...you've got to be kidding..and I'm sure there were many out there who paid this price. I guess it was the price to pay to be a "black belt master retoucher".
Skydog,

I've downloaded the videos but haven't unzipped them yet. I also paid an extra $11 for the CDs, which are on the way.

So far I've gone through most of Jane Conner-Ziser's DVD and have taken a workship with Natalia. Haven't taken time yet to go through those great videos yet. So I never felt like paying $500 or $300 or $199 for Nick's. That would be wasteful, at least until I'd gone through these others so I'd know what else I needed, if anything.

So when I saw Nick's retouching video set for $99 I'd grab it:
  1. I thought it was good stuff (but reading thru the thread here clearly the jury is still out)
  2. $99 won't put me in a hurt me even if it turns out to be a throwaway (which I'm hoping it's not)
  3. Nick's having started with ethnic subjects and saying there are special retouching techniques for such subjects intrigued me (at $99 at least)
  4. I figure someone as successful as he is can always teach me something useful
Regarding point #3 it's possible that that's a myth in retouching. It certainly is in photography. It's not necessary to expose differently for dark-skinned or light-skinned subjects even though many photographers and articles they write claim otherwise. Maybe that's true for retouching, too, but at $99 with little downside it seemed like a good deal.

I can write up my experiences later when I get the oppty to go through the material if there's interest but right now I've not had oppty to go through it (whenever that will be).

Last edited by RobertAsh; 12-01-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 AM

Thanks Robert...pls do. I can't judge Nick's DVD...only the price vs other products on the market...high. I would say, based on observation, is that Nick is great at marketing, branding, distribution, and self promoting. That would probably be a good DVD series.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM

http://nicksaglimbeni.com/portfolio/

I like his lighting and photography. I'd like to see his lighting set up and post production.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Great discussion here....
imho you can't compare the retouchskills of the persons mentioned.
For me Natalia, Grey Garness, Natalie Buskila and Kruno are Michelin 5 star and Nick is not.
His photography is pretty highend to me, he managed to work for people with a higher budget so I highly compliment him on that.
What struck me in his interview was that he will never use a "skin smoothing" program.
Seeing the retouching it looks like Imagenomic's portraiture usage or other filters but offcoarse I don't know for sure.
Benny is just expressing his (strong)opinion and taste...as he always does..

Last edited by capice; 12-01-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Patron

Skydog,

I agree with you regarding Nick's photography. The guy's a great photographer. Few photographers today know how to angle people's faces in the timeless classic manner, he's using the classic angles in his work most of the time (that's the way I was trained, too). He adds a modern look and feel to it that's fresh and exciting.

Regarding expense, Natalia's and Vitaly's DVDs were not cheap. Neither was Natalia's workshop. Each cost me way more than $99.

Gry's material was a $29 download of a book of hers. A complete steal I found out about it from a post on this forum and I'd highly recommend snatching it up ASAP before it's gone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Patron

Capice,

I'm enjoying the discussion, too. Looking fwd to seeing how Nick does it without skin smoothing programs

I also want to find out what that secret sauce is that Benny loves so much about Nick's work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Almost all photographs will look nicely on the computer screen but try to print a large gallery print. Then you will find how much attention was paid to every detail.

Last year I got the opportunity to visit David LaChapelle's exhibition (http://www.davidlachapelle.com) and I must admit I could't find anything I would be able to criticise. He is an ARTIST and a PROFESSIONAL.

Regards, Filip

-------------------------------------------------------
http://photoapps.info & http://shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Patron

I understand. I recently was at an event in the Rodney Lough gallery Rodney shoots 8x10 film and the detail in his enlargements is amazing. It influenced me to pull the trigger on a high-resolution DSLR that I'd been considering. His post-processing is top-notch as well (though his gallery salesperson claimed he doesn't do any )
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching