RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Steven Meisel

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Steven Meisel

So I am IN LOVE with Meisel's Dior photos, but there is one problem: how the hell does he do it? The pseudo-70s look splashed with high definition. Its amazing. Attached is a photo of what I am trying to convey. The colors and skin are basically what I am trying to get ahold of. HELPP?!??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steven-meisel-dior.jpg (80.3 KB, 277 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM

Re: Steven Meisel

"how the hell does he do it" pops up a lot on various forums. you won't find a plain answer since it's about the perfect combination of all needed ingredients.

First things first, get a higher quality scan.
http://xaxor.com/images/Dior-Spring-...-Campaign8.jpg
http://www.fashioneditorials.com/wp-...11/01/dior.jpg

What you have here reflects the popular hollywood teal & orange color grading look. Obviously they've pushed the sliders, gradients and curves to the extreme here.

Look at these colours:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Q2z1M3wzz-...range_teal.jpg
This particular set sums up the whole idea, though Meisel's retoucher(s) toned Karlie really hard, notice the shadows in her hair - the red curve raised a lot. Also the highlights are clipped and tinted (keep in mind I'm judging from the low quality magazine scan, might be different on the 'real' image).

Last edited by insmac; 11-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM

iin photoshop. add gradient map use three colour gradient with those color and use blending mode to color or another...you must choose best one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM

This doesn't look 70's to me - more of a 40's hand-tinting technique. I would guess that there's certainly some careful masking involved here of a gradient map, duplicated, set to (probably) color and softlight on varying opacities. The color blending mode will give the hand-tinted look, while softlight will intensify the color and contrast (probably used on 20% or something low like that). Personally, I feel the skin tone is too orange, but that's probably to make it pop against the blue b/g more. I love how the bottom third of the left photo was replaced in post - I never thought of doing that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM

I know that this forum focuses mostly on retouching, composing and restoration. But could anyone draw me a diagram of his lighting?? He has both hard and soft light there and it's just stunning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinq View Post
I know that this forum focuses mostly on retouching, composing and restoration. But could anyone draw me a diagram of his lighting?? He has both hard and soft light there and it's just stunning.
Looks like there is a hard main frontal and slightly from the side light(beauty dish) and a soft frontal fill light and a hair light on a boom arm.

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching