Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Removal of creases on patterned fabric (suit)

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Removal of creases on patterned fabric (suit)

My first post here, so please forgive me if this has been covered in earlier threads, in which case I'd be grateful if someone could point me to them.

My client wants me to remove all (or most) of the creases on these suit trousers. I have tried explaining that it might end up looking a bit strange, but to no avail.

So I am going to attempt to do something about it, as a test to show them.

I have tried adding patches of less creased fabric and blending them by masking and warping the patterns into place but it is very agonising and the result is not really that great. I have also tried various patch tools, but the pattern of the fabric really gets in the way and it ends up jumping around and looking very jagged.

Would be eternally grateful for any advice / tips and tricks from the community on this! It's driving me slightly bonkers...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WrinklesProblem.jpg (96.7 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Re: Removal of creases on patterned fabric (suit)

you are doing i the way I would, it is a tedious painful thing. Try grabbing areas from the other leg or maybe another select
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Clone, patch,heal, copy-paste-warp uncreased areas, dodge and burn, coffee and a ton of patience. Or a hot iron, but this would have been nice before the shoot, not after it, of course.
The pattern makes things incredibly difficult for this image...maybe it's a good idea to do your best on part of the image and show your client, so they know it's quite a difficult thing to get to look right and maybe ask for less. Not to mention the long hours you must spend on it.

I would be really curious if someone can come up with a speedier method for this.
Good luck to the OP!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

You can pull a fairly even patch from the front and make a pattern from it with a little warping and d&b to get the lines and tone to repeat evenly. Then a series of pattern fills can replace the various cuts of material, and d&b and warping can fit it to the contours of the original image.

This patch took about five minutes to create, and using it as a pattern fill gives a reasonably uniform bit of material.

Easily as reasonable an approach as cloning, which, when you think of it, is pretty darned unreasonable, and your client should be shot for suggesting it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Stripes.png (16.3 KB, 180 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Presumably your client isn't paying by the hour. I think he would suddenly become a whole lot more reasonable if he had to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks to all for very useful techniques, will try what works better.
It's good to get confirmed even if I'm using some of those tricks already. The pattern fills is one I hadn't tried...I will upload a finished example when I'm done...

I wasn't there at the shoot so couldn't ask for ironing unfortunately.

I'm not quite sure why they want all the folds and creases gone, it will end up looking like lycra or body paint. I think folds are natural in fabrics and would rather work on "improving the folds" rather than getting rid of all of them. But it's like talking to a brick wall.

In an ideal world I could have the client shot for this silliness but then again, they wouldn't be able to pay the bill. There is more work from them, so I will just have to adjust my price per image and hope they come to their senses, although I'm not holding my breath...

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM

The wrinkles are made up of fabric...some of the fabric is lighter in brightness on the top...and then it is darker than the mid color fabric on the bottom side. So your wrinkle is coming from the difference of lightness and darkness across the fabric (to some large degree. Some other wrinkle is caused by the pattern being distorted).

To even out the lightness and darkness of the wrinkles ( I would start with lightening the darker areas first) you would use a non destructive curves adjustment layer from the layers pallet. You would use an adjustment layers curve because you will be creating a totally transparent lightening in the dark areas.

So make an adjustment layer curve...pull up the center of the curve till the dark part of the wrinkles starts to lighten up a good bit. Now do a command or control I to invert the mask and your brightening will disappear. Now select the mask part of the layer and paint on the picture with a 12% opacity soft white brush. This soft painting will lighten up the dark areas of the wrinkles...and maybe your client will think that maybe this might be enough of a change to be OK. Maybe you have to do the same by darkening down the lighter parts of the wrinkle. Use the same curve technique and pull down the curve in the center to darken up the lighter parts...invert the mask...then paint in the darkness with a nice low opacity white brush. are still stuck with the vertical lines in the fabric still being curved. Hopefully the previous steps will have reduced the highlights and shadows in the wrinkles so they are quite noticeably better looking. If not...then you are in for a harder time because the fabric pattern is working against you too. Now you are talking about doing some puppet warp work, or some free transform work with the warp tool, or some fancy and time intensive cloning.

Someone else above was correct in that your art director should have known about the face that this happens with vertical patterns...all the time...and he should have ordered the wardrobe person to get in there and get some fabric stiffener in the area during the ironing stage.

So softening the difference in the luminance values is a great way to start out (it works really well on non-patterned fabrics and especially solids...but this pattern you have is a real challenge). Expect to do some tuff work on your part in retouch...and dont forget to tell the wardrobe stylist to be around and keep an eye open during the photo session)

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 AM

You could use a split to 'iron' the trousers. I had a similar request from someone who wanted shirt creases removed, much like you I was a little non-plussed as creases/folds look natural. The only problem comes when you remove the shadows the pattern that the material makes across what was a fold remains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iron-wrinkles.jpg (34.2 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching