RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Sampling & applying col from a photo to another

Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Sampling & applying col from a photo to another

If I have a photo with a skin col & density that I am very happy with and want to apply the same to another image, rather than going to Image>Adjustment>Match Color can I use the Col Sampler Tool & click on the face I like with the Info palette open & read the RGB &/or CMYK values. Then on the target image create a New Fill Layer>Solid Color>input the sampled values & set the blend mode to Color?
Is there a better wat to accomplish this... I'm not getting it
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Re: Sampling & applying col from a photo to anothe

Well, what works best for me is to sample the area you're interested in, now put on another marker on the target image in the area you want to be adjusted, create a new curves adjustment layer, and for each color channel (rgb) select "click and drag" tool on the curves properties planel, click on the target marker and adjust Output number to match reference values from the first shot. There, you're set, paint the layer mask black and reveal where you need it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 PM

When trying to match skin tones from one reference image to a separate target image, I find that using a Gradient Map adjustment layer is the most effective tool.

Build a Gradient Map from your reference image by taking at least 3 samples, one in the highlights, one in the midtones, and one in the shadows. More sample points may be better, but I find that three are usually adequate.

Then add this Gradient map adjustment layer to your target image and put it in Hue blending mode. Sometimes Color blending mode works, but Hue is usually best. Try both. Then mask this layer, of course, to cover only the skin. Masking the Gradient Map layer is usually easy, as the mask does not have to be very precise.

Finding the sample points on the reference image and translating them to points on the Gradient Map is a bit tricky because the "luminosity" measurements are inverted.

Put one of your Info Pallet readouts in Grayscale mode. Fish around on the reference image looking for a good shadow. The "K" value will be a high percentage, maybe somewhere between 60% and 80%. When you go to the Gradient Map to place that point, its "location" needs to be the inverse. So a "K" value of 80% is a "location" of 20% on the Gradient Map.

Then find and map a midtone with K value around 50%, and a highlight with K value around 20%. One of the benefits of using a Gradient Map is that once you build a good one from a reference image, you can save it as a preset and then load it quickly on any number of target images. Only the masking needs to be custom for each target.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM

What am I missing here... i just tried it unsuccessfully.
I open the 2 images side by side. Use the dropper tool (col sample) & click & read the values I want. Go to the image to change & click on a similar toned area.
Open a curves layer & use the 'hand icon' tool to click inside the sample point.
Do this 3x for rg&b.
Change the output number under each of r,g, & b to values of the first image.
Use a layer mask to reveal the new values where desired.
Although the numbers are the same it doesn't look the same col or saturation ??
What should the blend mode be for the Curves layer - Hue ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM

I dont follow your Gradient map example ...not sure how to proceed and set up the bar ...don't know anything about gradient editor - somehow not an adj. I've gotten round to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
Well, what works best for me is to sample the area you're interested in, now put on another marker on the target image in the area you want to be adjusted, create a new curves adjustment layer, and for each color channel (rgb) select "click and drag" tool on the curves properties planel, click on the target marker and adjust Output number to match reference values from the first shot. There, you're set, paint the layer mask black and reveal where you need it.
This is kinda working ok. It's a drag that you have to click on each channel separately with that 'hand icon' cos it's possible to not get it precisely on the same pt when changing between the channels. The curve can be saved.
Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching