RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Trade secrets.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Re: Trade secrets.

This is so true and I support your point of view 1000%, Gratin!

I have been retouching for about 6 years (not as many as a lot of people on this site, I know). I've been doing bigger things in the past year, been published in various leading magazines in the Beauty industry all over the world, even won the Wacom & AfterCapture Digital Imaging contest 2012, and I swear I only use maybe 5 tools from the tool bar, 3-5 Blending modes and 3-5 Adjustment layers to do everything I need.

It's so strange that everyone is looking for something difficult and complex when in reality everything can be done with just a handful of tools. Just add a lot of practice, and you're good to work your magic in Photoshop.

Thanks so much for your post, I thought I was alone in this

Julia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I could use a could up-rez technique. Care to share it?
You can either use a third-party solution (see under "Resampling/interpolation" here) or write an action in Photoshop to uprez inhouse by 10% and run it as often as needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaKuzmenko View Post
This is so true and I support your point of view 1000%, Gratin!

I have been retouching for about 6 years (not as many as a lot of people on this site, I know). I've been doing bigger things in the past year, been published in various leading magazines in the Beauty industry all over the world, even won the Wacom & AfterCapture Digital Imaging contest 2012, and I swear I only use maybe 5 tools from the tool bar, 3-5 Blending modes and 3-5 Adjustment layers to do everything I need.

It's so strange that everyone is looking for something difficult and complex when in reality everything can be done with just a handful of tools. Just add a lot of practice, and you're good to work your magic in Photoshop.

Thanks so much for your post, I thought I was alone in this

Julia
same situation here that is what cracks me up and I remember being just like that some time ago. It get simpler and simpler at least that has been my experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Ha, I'm so glad I came across this thread! I really though that maybe I wasn't understanding something about retouching that other working professionals did.

But I guess the secret is that we actually don't do anything crazy complex, as a lot of beginners think
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM

I believe it was Gry Garness -on one of her shows here- that said "Retouching & Photoshop is all about Shoveling Pixels" - This sums it all up nicely,Can't agree more.

If I recall, I was waiting for this show badly -back then-, she had a female face, in very light to white complexion laying on her cheeks, I was waiting for this Holly Grail moment, the moment she executes this magic" move to turn the skin form blotchy normal tone to white tone, did not happen it was rather gradual movements and very few HS & curve layers, it was happening at the front of my eyes and yet, that magic moment never came, I was highly disappointed. Now, once I discovered or rather, learned how to utilize the various basic tools, I can get any skin tone I can dream of.

Oh, wait, I think I got it, it is the Magic Wand tool! Darn it, I should have thought of it, this is where the Magic of Trade Secrets is, Adobe did not document it right :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Hahaha, I want a Magic Wand plugin
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 AM

When retouchers ask for trade secrets what they really want are global adjustments that can be applied to the whole image at once. The magic bullet that escapes hard work.

If there was a trade secret it would be this: get really f'ing good at masking.

You want to know how Vogue editorials have those colours? They're masking and colouring things. Everything. The shoes, the bags, the legs, the backgrounds, the hair, the rings, the earrings, the hats, the poodle, the swimming pool and the turquoise green sky. They are tweaking every element for colour consistency until the whole looks good. Separately. It's not one adjustment layer or one blend mode, it's tens or hundreds.

When I teach photoshop I start with the selection tools, ad-nauseum. And we select things again and again and again, because these are your surgeons hands. How good you are at selecting stuff ultimately decides how good you are at photoshop.

You may think this is ridiculous or petty, but the number of people who can frequency separate but still can't select an eyelash or mask a nail is embarrassing.

Get good at selections. And colouring those selections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM

What's "frequency separate" again? Where did that one come from?

Oh, and, as per oneredpanther's above post, check out Chris Tarantino's Beauty masking video here. Now, that is masking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Good thread, seems a lot of us have the same thoughts.
Interesting reading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredpanther View Post
When retouchers ask for trade secrets what they really want are global adjustments that can be applied to the whole image at once. The magic bullet that escapes hard work.

If there was a trade secret it would be this: get really f'ing good at masking.

You want to know how Vogue editorials have those colours? They're masking and colouring things. Everything. The shoes, the bags, the legs, the backgrounds, the hair, the rings, the earrings, the hats, the poodle, the swimming pool and the turquoise green sky. They are tweaking every element for colour consistency until the whole looks good. Separately. It's not one adjustment layer or one blend mode, it's tens or hundreds.

When I teach photoshop I start with the selection tools, ad-nauseum. And we select things again and again and again, because these are your surgeons hands. How good you are at selecting stuff ultimately decides how good you are at photoshop.

You may think this is ridiculous or petty, but the number of people who can frequency separate but still can't select an eyelash or mask a nail is embarrassing.

Get good at selections. And colouring those selections.
More very good advice and another thing noticed ad nauseam on here. You can deconstruct the colour of an image very differently when you bring masking into the equation. I will always recommend using global adjustments to get you as far as possible (because pulling elements apart with drastic colour changes can be messy) but it's often the culmination of the little things that make the image in the end. So all those little adjustments to the nails, eyes, bags, shoes etc add up into something big.

Benny: The Frequency Separation came from a thread on Model Mayhem, and works like a very accurate High Pass / Guassian blur. You can split the image into a High frequency (detail, pores etc) and Low (broader colour etc). It's now the de facto advice for any skin problem posted it seems.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching