RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Trade secrets.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Patron

Re: Trade secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
There are two Roberts. I should have made it clear that my comments were both in response to Robert Garcia, not Robert Ash.
Oh, ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding, thanks a lot for clarifying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Let us get back on track please, it is near the end of page 5 already and still, no secret revealed yet, dang...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Let us get back on track please, it is near the end of page 5 already and still, no secret revealed yet, dang...
OK, let me spill the beans and reveal all. First, you apply,...';'l;,.[keybrd conectn lost].,;'',...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

There's been many pages of them but since your trade dues are in arrears you're not able to see them. Please make immediate payment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM

You know, I think the problem here is that some are obviously set in their ways, and are also looking down on this thing because, well, they're pros, and this is a lowly amateur technique. Also, it may be a reflection on the quality of images some work on. By that, I guess I have to give away a dirty little secret here. A lot of high end beauty retouching is much easier than lower quality photography of mid to low quality models. There's just a lot less work to do on those girls. Their skin is perfect, almost, and the photographer knows how to light, and there's an honest to god clothes and hair stylist on set to take care of those two important components. Some hair stylists make more than models, and, if you see their work, you'll know why. So, the retoucher just has a few little imperfections to deal with. (I used to do the retouching on a very famous group of girls who showed up every year in a, ahem, swimwear issue. The hardest thing to deal with was tatoo removal. Women hate to hear that.)
But, if you're given hack, high volume photography of kinda cute girls with chicken skin and bags under their eyes from the parties the week before and hair that is frizzed out all over the place, well, roll up your sleeves. Add to that the clients asking for it yesterday, and, well, I appreciate all the shortcuts I can get. As said, the clients just want a nice image. They could care less about what cool technique was used to get there. Oh, and, they always want it as cheap as possible, of course. So, This thing works for me. Actually, just yesterday and today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
You know, I think the problem here is that some are obviously set in their ways, and are also looking down on this thing because, well, they're pros, and this is a lowly amateur technique. Also, it may be a reflection on the quality of images some work on. By that, I guess I have to give away a dirty little secret here. A lot of high end beauty retouching is much easier than lower quality photography of mid to low quality models. There's just a lot less work to do on those girls. Their skin is perfect, almost, and the photographer knows how to light, and there's an honest to god clothes and hair stylist on set to take care of those two important components. Some hair stylists make more than models, and, if you see their work, you'll know why. So, the retoucher just has a few little imperfections to deal with. (I used to do the retouching on a very famous group of girls who showed up every year in a, ahem, swimwear issue. The hardest thing to deal with was tatoo removal. Women hate to hear that.)
But, if you're given hack, high volume photography of kinda cute girls with chicken skin and bags under their eyes from the parties the week before and hair that is frizzed out all over the place, well, roll up your sleeves. Add to that the clients asking for it yesterday, and, well, I appreciate all the shortcuts I can get. As said, the clients just want a nice image. They could care less about what cool technique was used to get there. Oh, and, they always want it as cheap as possible, of course. So, This thing works for me. Actually, just yesterday and today.
Well said, Benny … And retouching is much easier if you are a photographer with a darkroom background … If you are aware of what you exactlly want to achieve and where your boundaries are … You are a director of your shot and you exactlly now how much work should be done in post-production when you push the button

Regards, Filip

------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM

I was wondering how most of you use the dodge and burn...? On an adjustment layer, on 50% grey layer or simply directly on the image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Either of the first two, but never directly unless it's a quick tweak.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM

The first two.
Curves work within a specific range whereas painting over a softlight gray gives more power. So, if I work on a very dark, stubborn pore it's more convenient to give it a kick with a higher opacity brush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM

I use the curves and believe it or not there are others that only do d&b directly on a jumped layer and do spectacular work. Try them all and find out what works best for you. Once you figure out your brushes it won't make much of difference which method you use and you develop great speed. For very dark stubborn anything hit with the clone instead you are wasting time with d&b there, my two cents.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching