RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

avoiding artifacts when changing clothes color

Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM

avoiding artifacts when changing clothes color

Hi there,

I have a blue and magenta kilt on which I selected and masked in with a hue/saturation layer to change these colors to red and lime green.

Three problems:

1. Despite playing with the color separation sliders of the hue/sat layer, the color separation is not perfect and one can still observe lime contamination in red zones and red contamination in lime zones.

2. Moreover, there is an ugly fringe of the old blue on the edge of the kilt and (sometimes its green as well).

3. There is also a fringe within the skin hair.

For now, I have:

- one hue/sat layer masked in over the whole kilt to roughly change blue & magenta to red & lime (there is contamination at that point)
- on top of that, I have a hue/sat layer that replaces reds with lime masked in over lime areas. This removes red contamination
- on top of that, I have a hue/sat layer that replaces lime with red masked in over red areas. This removes lime contamination

- I didn't try to fix the fringe yet.

I get good results but I find this whole process a little bit time consuming because to mask properly, I painted these masks manually with the brush.

Anybody has another faster method to tackle this without compromising on quality ?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 12.55.44 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 12.55.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 1.02.00 AM.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 AM

Re: avoiding artifacts when changing clothes color

To tidy up the fringes you can create layers of solid colour (the colours that abut the fringing) and set the layer to Colour. With a layer mask 'paint' in the new colour. If it doesn't quite match then you can visually adjust the colour through the layer mask. See attached sample. If that doesn't work you can also cut and paste a 'clean' piece area next to the fringing into the fringe gap. There are times when you could clone but in this case you'll want the stitching to align.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.jpg (75.9 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 PM

The fringing is caused by a loose mask/selection. For the most accurate selections along a line like that you could use the pen tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM

My opinion, and I could be wrong, is that the fringing is chromatic aberration from the camera. I think it's in the original shot but isn't easy to see because it's cyan and magenta against the purple. PSCS6 has a defringe function as do ACR and Lightroom. I'd think it would work pretty well on your image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM

After adjustment for chromatic aberration in lightroom with definge all edges on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2012-12-19-at-12.jpg (81.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20121220-Screen-Shot-2012-12-19-at-12.55.jpg (82.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 AM

Can you change the blue/purple to red/green before applying the defringe please. If that works it would be a usefull fix. With the hue/sat function, extreme colour changes will give you problems between adjacent colours irrespective of your mask edges (within practical commercial standards). Rarely do colours abut without some blending between the two (however subtle) and this transitional area will change at a different rate to the original and target colour hence the distinctive edging. Easy enough to fix as a detail but with tartan, I can see why the OP would like a more global solution!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2012, 03:23 AM

Hi Repairman. I tried what you suggest and it doesn't work as well. The chromatic aberration function in lightroom serves a very specific purpose and when you've changed the hues in the image (drastically) you've effectively rendered it useless. I think you nailed the problem with "With the hue/sat function, extreme colour changes will give you problems between adjacent colours irrespective of your mask edges".

I do understand the second part of your statement but only attribute a small portion of the issue to it.

I think it's a combination of the 2 but mainly the fact that in order to achieve the same end color result as the OP I had to push the saturation in HS to around 45. Way to strong.

Not sure if you have Lightroom but it does have a chromatic aberration adjustment as well as a defringe function and the 2 can be used separately. Both are global. The chromatic aberration adjustment has 2 manual sliders; one for red\cyan and the other for blue\yellow. There also exists the ability to use a preloaded an auto adjustment particular to the camera and lens. These would be really simple fixes, just a few seconds to batch many photos. This would fix the chromatic aberration issue quickly and give a better starting point to change the color.

I would suggest looking for a different method to use to change the color.

Gradient maps are a great way to change color.

(Thanks again to Edgework who showed me this method.)

Last edited by crazyfly1; 12-20-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Okay, I've got to apologize for my prior post on the grounds that I didn't fully read the problem or try a solution. The problem isn't loose masking, it's, as Repairman alludes, driving colors that begin in close hue proximity to each other (magentas and blues) in opposite directions (Red and green) causing spillover.

I've come up with a similar result as yours (OP) using no masking at all, just using the HSL Targeted Adjustment Tool to select the colors and then judicious use of the color range sliders (or whatever they're called) at the bottom os the HSL panel. So this might at least save you some masking time.

To adress the remaining spill/fringe, I'd do as Repairman suggests, a color layer, painting local color where needed, or cloning in the worst case scenarios.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fringe.JPG (83.8 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM

You may want to also try changing the color in LAB (less of a sledge hammer like Hue Saturation), and use the layer Blend Options sliders to help reduce the fringe. However, for many drastic color changes clone stamping can be the only real solution.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching