Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critics needed on headshot retouch..

Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM
Critics needed on headshot retouch..

Hello Members,
I've retouched this headshot while preserving the skin texture. I'd like to have feedback from the professional members, retouchers and photographers as well. All the critics are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by suryapuranik; 01-02-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Re: Critics needed on headshot retouch..

I don't 'do' skin per se but I think you have gone too far and yet not far enough! You have smoothed the features to the extent that you've sucked the life out of her. I would try and restore back some of the original detail. The hair needs tidying as it is inconsistent with the rest of the face (think of narrative - how would the image be used?). The lips might work better if you align them but that's your call. You're definitely on the right track though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 AM

First thing I see is the burnt hair. Too much dodging. There's no texture there anymore. Texture in her lips is going away as well. As for the skin, for my taste, it looks a bit too too brushed. Over all, this looks like it's had filters applied, rather than spot cleaning of the skin. Her neck is sharper blotchy rather than the blurred blotchy of the original. So if, say, Topaz Clean was used, you kept the textures of her teeny face hairs well, but then Enhance emphasized the breaking up of her neck tones. Not sure what filters you used, but those two come to mind.

Take your time and use your clone tool with a tiny brush for the blemishes and bumps brought out by the flash, and use dodge and burn with *extremely* low opacity to even out the flashy tones on her face. As for her neck, If you do have Topaz, use Clean (skin) on that area, but take down the texture in the filter. If you don't have it, you can cheat with a little sideways motion blur and noise to smooth out the blotchy breaking of tones.

That all said, if you're looking for a brushed make-up look, you've done a fine job, sans the neck area, of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 PM

People are usually very personalized in what they like in terms of skin retouching results. Some like softness, some hate it, some like desaturation and others like highlights... the list is large!

I personally think you did quite a nice job. You got rid of the blemishes nicely...there is still peach fuzz detail that is accurate from the did a great job on this. You have nice specular highlights (maybe a bit bright) but the skin color is greatly improved from the original. Overall contrast seems a bit hot to me (the spread from light to dark is strong...especially in the darker region).

Seems to me like you spent a lot of time on this...and you did a great job...not to everyones specialized tastes...but I can see a lot of work you put into it. Kudos. keep going.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching