RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to: monochromatic col

Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Re: How to: monochromatic col

Personally, when I want to achieve a vintage style effect I start in Lr by pushing the WB extremely warm, and then pulling the saturation on the yellow and orange channels until it looks about right. Then I might lift the bottom of the tone curve slightly and add a very slight amount of clarity before going into Ps. A B&W overlay layer (at low opacity), then adding a slight glow; two layers with Gaussian blur added set to soft light and screen, with screen on top, put together as a group and then the opacity is reduced to suit. Then mask off the glow and brush the effect in on the skin and around the edges of the subject with a lowish opacity brush. This gets me pretty close and from there is tweaking with curves layers and masks, as well as maybe some saturation layers.

As has been pointed out, it is image dependent, and I don't really thing the color was added back in on these images. I think it was there to begin with. Granted, I don't really know what I'm doing either, so take it all with a grain of salt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8215-Edit.jpg (99.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM

It looks to me that the original photog was trying to simulate bichromie or trichromie look from early color cinema, but conceptually more like how Technicolor was doing it. You can see good examples of this in portions of the film "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind."

IIRC, only two colors were recorded. A sort of pink-ish orange and a blueish-green. Everything on screen was made up of those two colors and what we'd call a luminosity channel. The two colors clip though with a short range, leaving the tone looking pretty flat. If you can find an image produced by this method you'll notice the blue-green color abruptly stops and is replaced by gray/black in the dark tones of a man's dark suit or hair.

In PS, if you go the gradient map route, your dark point should be black. Not a dark blue-green (or pink-orange). Same with the highlights. They shouldn't be just a lighter version of blue-green. The color should stop before going very far at all into the highlights. I'll post some still screen-caps from that movie later, but the original photog here did a pretty good job of it too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Looking fwd to seeing these.
When images are posted, is it possible to also post a link to a layered file so we can see how it was made, from base/original to finish?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 04:25 PM

I'm fairly new here and don't see how to upload a file. I just have some screen captures from the movie. Anyway, since I can't upload anything I went and found a link to some scenes of the movie so you can see yourself.
http://poc.ramp.com/m/video/38607860...-room-day.htm?

I must've remembered the film incorrectly. It looks like the director didn't stick to just two or three colors, but at least 5. Different scenes have slightly different processing but it all seems to be at least a nod to bichromie and trichromie.

Another modern movie that does it better is Aviator, which Scorcese did this theme of starting the film with processing that matched the cinematic color processing of the era that scene was set in. So as the movie progresses you go from B&W, to bichromie, to trichromie...eventually to normal looking color film. This image is a perfect example of what I was talking about: http://www.gracieopulanza.com/wp-con...ie-600x253.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching