RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to retouch Technicolor Cinestyle?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM

How to retouch Technicolor Cinestyle?

I have loaded Technicolor Cinestyle profile into my camera and took a few test pictures. If I open Bridge first I see those files as they should be. Flat and looking washed out. But after a few seconds small circle icon in the corner of each miniature disappears and each image looks like normal raw. Why Bridge removes settings applied by camera?
If I open those files using different raw editor [faststone for example] they don't loose Cinestyle look. But there I find another problem. I' ve heard that starting point for retouching Cinestyle pictures is applying s curve. If I do it they look exactly the same like images taken with standard neutral profile.
Anybody haas experience with Cinestyle?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Re: How to retouch Technicolor Cinestyle?

Are you talking about still or video in cinestyle?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM

I try it in still
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM

When you use an in camera style like the Technicolor it only affects jpgs and not your raw....that's why it changed when you opened it. If you want to see it's affect on your image you would have to look at a jpg out of the camera.
That's my understanding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 AM

As far as I remember Canon DPP was the one and only processor that could handle Cinestyle profile during develop. Cinestyle's main purpose is to provide as much data in low and highs as possible on DSLR videos and hence more tonal range for color grading afterwards. That is how 'big movies' are made in the first place.

I assume Technicolor provides an s-curve file in the Cinestyle package yet it's most likely for non linear video editing software only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Few years ago I met one guy who used to process original Technicolor films. He said that original movie films are so flat because they need to be reproduced - they were just masters for a mass production …

Regards, Filip

--------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supjak View Post
I have loaded Technicolor Cinestyle profile into my camera and took a few test pictures. If I open Bridge first I see those files as they should be. Flat and looking washed out. But after a few seconds small circle icon in the corner of each miniature disappears and each image looks like normal raw. Why Bridge removes settings applied by camera?
If I open those files using different raw editor [faststone for example] they don't loose Cinestyle look. But there I find another problem. I' ve heard that starting point for retouching Cinestyle pictures is applying s curve. If I do it they look exactly the same like images taken with standard neutral profile.
Anybody haas experience with Cinestyle?
I think you're missing the point of Cinestyle. Cinestyle was developed specifically for video as a way to maintain as much dynamic range as possible in the file. Since there is no raw video out on DSLRs, any sort of contrast curve will reduce the visible dynamic range of the image. Once compressed that information is gone. Shooting with a very flat picture style allows video editors more latitude in post.
As a photographer shooting raw, you don't benefit from it on the processing side. You can shoot photos in raw format, which is what the video guys wish they could do, and what Cinestyle tries hard to replicate. Not only that, but since DPP is the only raw processor that can read in-camera picture settings, you won't even be able to use it as a starting point.
Personally, I use a very flat picture style similar to cinestyle when shooting, not because it gives me a starting point for processing, but because it gives me a histogram that is as close to what the raw data is as I can get.

As far as bridge "removing the cameras settings"; it does no such thing. What is happening is that Bridge is reading the raw file and creating a preview image using the Camera Raw default settings. When you shoot in raw the camera generates a small preview jpeg which gets embedded in the metadata, this is the image you see on the back of your camera after you take a shot. Once in bridge that preview image gets replaced by a default preview generated by Camera Raw/Lightroom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Thank you Scatterbrained. Your answer makes the thing understandable.
Some time ago I found a few interesting pictures taken with cinestyle and promised myself to explore it a little bit. I know it's for video production mainly but not only as I heard.
I will try to contact someone who uses it for photography. If I find something interesting I will share.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 AM

From what I understand it is very flat when unprocessed and you apply an S-curve in photoshop. The s-curve developed by the manufacturer is luminosity only and nothing special. It does not include color correction curves at all, so the footage or still retains an ochre cast and awful looking skin tones. They do not advise how to neutralize this since the cinestyle profile has no definitive color interpretation, it is used because of it's ability to be taken in any direction. Personally I think it offers no advantages in photography (raw surpasses it and standard camera profiles with contrast lowered are as good) and no advantage for the documentary films people such as myself make, which do not require any stylized look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 AM

Those settings on camera only affect JPEGs and previews. If you want that preset on RAW, open raw in canon/nikon editor, and then apply the settings.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching