Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

changing photo resolution in camera raw

Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM
changing photo resolution in camera raw

Hi Everyone,

I have a question- recently I had a client that I retouched a bunch of images for. I noticed they were 240dpi but since I assumed they were for print and he didn't clarify, I just didn't say anything. Later he was surprised and a bit upset that I had not changed them all to 300dpi when opening them in Camera Raw. So now I am wondering, do most retouchers routinely change images to 300dpi when opening them from raw files? Also, how is doing this in camera raw better or different than doing it with the image size command in Photoshop?

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Re: changing photo resolution in camera raw

The Raw file foes not have any size, it is just an array of pixels. For example, a 12 megapixel camera will have an array of pixels that is approx 4400 x 2800 px. When Camera Raw saves the file as a tiff or jpg it needs to define it as being s certain size / resolution. You specify the resolution and camera raw will calculate the size. So for example, if you specify 200 poi, then the image size will be 22 x 14 inches. If you specify 300 poi then the image size will be approx 14 x 9 inches. Nothing happens to the pixel / data you are just representing them as a size at a given resolution. It's basically the same as if you used Image Size in PS with the resample box unchecked. If your client plans to print the photos he will need to resize them all to 300 or 360 ppi. And if you have reduced the size with the res at 240, you have lost some info which can not be recovered.

Cheers Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching